Flange + bolt broken, Plumber replaced using Super Ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
Hello Lovers! I just need your opinion. The previous handyman I hired broke the closet flange which also removed the bolt. Another guy came in today to fix it. He used a super ring (see picture from exhibit A) as a replacement. I am having some doubts if it is the correct thing to do. Shouldn't he have used an actual closet flange (see picture from exhibit B)? Will using a super ring cause problems for me? So far no leaks, but I just don't feel comfortable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EXHIBIT A = http://www.acehardware.com/product/...er+ring&searchId=5390173350&parentPage=search

EXHIBIT B = http://www.acehardware.com/product/...8&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=search

Thanks again for all your help.

PS: I am really getting tired of hiring handyman that while they fix what I want them to fix, they introduce a new problem for me. The new handyman broke 1 tile around the toilet as he was drilling in the holes for the mounting of the super ring. At least after seeing how it's done I feel like I know how to do it next time (when my other bathroom gives the same problem). I swear if I could learn how to do it, I will! Sorry for venting some frustration.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Red repair ring for toilet flange

redring.jpg

I use the red rings too.
Anytime you drill through tile, you risk breaking it.
Most of the time it works out well.
I always carry the red rings, rotohammer, screws and drop-ins depending on whether there is wood or concrete below.

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

Last edited:

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I noticed that the one you have pictured comes with that flange in the middle. The one my plumber used was just the ring with no flange in the middle. Hopefully its ok and doesnt give me problems later. As for the tile he wasn't drilling through the tile. He was drilling almost near the end of the tile. For some reason the tile just popped up and I guess when he leaned on it, it broke.

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
Oh ok. Thanks Terry. Now I feel better. I didn't caulk the surrounds of the toilet yet so I can observe it for the next few days or so.

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
One last question. When you install the super ring, do you put something around the inside of the ring to kind of close the gap from the drain/pipe? Mine has a 4" pipe and the opening on the super ring is not exactly hugging the 4" pipe. Or is this where the wax ring takes over to make sure that any gaps are sealed between the ring and the pipe which ensures that anything coming from the toilet only goes to where it should go, down the pipe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks