Flange and tiling

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeT

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a newby, I searched the FAQs but didn't find an answer to this. My plumber roughed in a toilet flange for me a while ago. I'm now to the tile stage, my question is should the flange be ssecured to the sub-floor or should it be at the same level as the finished tile. I have a layer of Ditra then the tile. If it has to sit at the tile level, how should I secure the flange to the floor? Thanks in advance, and sorry for my ignorance!

Joe T

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know how you could have missed finding the answer to this one. Flanges are supposed to set on top of the finished floor (Tile in your case) and be anchored (Screwed) into the sub flooring. The method most recommended is to notch the tile when laying it rather than drilling pilot holes. Nothing wrong with drilling holes, but it's tough drilling and requires special bits. Most folks don't install the flange until the tile is laid. Might be worth having the plumber redo this.

JoeT

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, The plumber left me enough flexibility to set the flange on top of the tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks