Flange and tiling

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by JoeT, Mar 20, 2012.

1. JoeT

JoeT New Member

Hello all, I'm a newby, I searched the FAQs but didn't find an answer to this. My plumber roughed in a toilet flange for me a while ago. I'm now to the tile stage, my question is should the flange be ssecured to the sub-floor or should it be at the same level as the finished tile. I have a layer of Ditra then the tile. If it has to sit at the tile level, how should I secure the flange to the floor? Thanks in advance, and sorry for my ignorance!

Joe T
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Don't know how you could have missed finding the answer to this one. Flanges are supposed to set on top of the finished floor (Tile in your case) and be anchored (Screwed) into the sub flooring. The method most recommended is to notch the tile when laying it rather than drilling pilot holes. Nothing wrong with drilling holes, but it's tough drilling and requires special bits. Most folks don't install the flange until the tile is laid. Might be worth having the plumber redo this.
  3. JoeT

JoeT New Member

Thanks Gary, The plumber left me enough flexibility to set the flange on top of the tile.