Fixing small leak in bath drain

Users who are viewing this thread

bfossett

Reaction score
I just installed a new cast iron bath and have found a very minor leak at the 90 turn in the drain shoe. I used teflon pipe dope on that junction. I would guess it leaks less than 1 cc (10 drops?) when draining a full tub (I left a small bucket below the U joint in the event of a problem) . Do these type of leaks ever seal themselves with use (dirt or calcium deposits?) Removal of the tub is not an option I relish and I'm not sure what I would do differently with the fine thread shoe joint. Any advise? Thanks, Bill

TheZster

Reaction score
In my experience, leaks get bigger over time, not the reverse... fix it right.... if not the first time, then the second.... you'll save sleep...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks