Fixing small leak in bath drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bfossett, Aug 12, 2005.

1. bfossett

bfossett New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I just installed a new cast iron bath and have found a very minor leak at the 90 turn in the drain shoe. I used teflon pipe dope on that junction. I would guess it leaks less than 1 cc (10 drops?) when draining a full tub (I left a small bucket below the U joint in the event of a problem) . Do these type of leaks ever seal themselves with use (dirt or calcium deposits?) Removal of the tub is not an option I relish and I'm not sure what I would do differently with the fine thread shoe joint. Any advise? Thanks, Bill
  2. thezster

thezster New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Retired young... day trade stocks - and to keep bu
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    In my experience, leaks get bigger over time, not the reverse... fix it right.... if not the first time, then the second.... you'll save sleep...
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement