Fixing poor tub surround - how to seal vertical gap?

Users who are viewing this thread

mbix

Reaction score
Hi all,
New house has a bathroom with a tub surround that doesn't look like it was installed well. It has 3 panels and the overlap between the panels has a gap forming (< 1/8"). I'm thinking I can just seal this for now with silicon caulk but want some advice before I go down this route. We'll probably replace the whole thing in 2 years time but for now I just want it sealed up against mold and water.
I am not at all familiar with pluming/sealants/etc. past the absolute basics - I'm not even sure how these panels are attached or what holds them together. Any advice appreciated!

Attaching image of the gap.

Attachments

• 20151123_214743.jpg
    20151123_214743.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 355

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At this point, Silicone looks to be the answer. You might want to squeeze some in there and tape it down, go back and then do a bead on the seam after pulling the tape.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks