Fixing Pipes in Basement Under Kitchen Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Deavon Walden

Reaction score
New to plumbing work, but incredibly interested in anything DIY. Only problem right now is money, but I know it's cheaper to fix things myself, rather than pay a professional to do something I could learn to do myself...that being said, here is my problem:

We had our pipes snaked a few weeks ago and apparently one of our cast iron pipes (very, very old house) was corroded and the snake busted right through. We had no idea until one day our basement ceiling was full of water. I do have pictures if I can figure out how to share them (just made an account and hopped on to post this question). My question is this:

How easy is it to replace cast iron pipes with pvc? I know the latter is better and stronger than the prior, but we've been waiting weeks for friends or neighbors to help us and, frankly, I'm tired of waiting. I want to do it myself and get it over with. We haven't been able to use our kitchen sink for weeks and it's only one of the many problems we're facing in our home right now. I would like to knock it out as easily and efficiently as possible.

20160921_190033.jpg

20160921_190033.jpg

Attachments

• 20160921_190042.jpg
    20160921_190042.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Behind the wall under the kitchen sink you may fine the line. They either come up directly behind the sink, or they sometimes are to either side of a window and arm over to the sink. Either way, you will need to find a way to run new piping to your sink. If it's right behind, then cutting with a sawzall and metal blade allows you to cut out the damaged rusted portion, and a place to start running new plastic. For the transistion between differing pipes, we use a coupling with a metal wrap to prevent shifting of the pipes.

sink_dw.jpg

Deavon Walden

Reaction score
The pipe I took a picture of is directly between 2 windows in our basement. The piece you're seeing is coming from our wall leading up behind our sink (about 3 or 4 feet below the sink). Is it acceptable to just replace the one corroded elbow joint or would it be better to replace more than that incase there is any corrosion we aren't aware of? Also, how much would a job like this cost, assuming one has no tools or materials on hand to complete the job....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You want to replace any metal pipes there up to and including the tee for the arm that holds the p-trap.
Kitchen sinks are the first pipes to go in a home. That job is mainly labor, parts less then $100.00
I don't think of that as an easy job though for someone just learning.

Deavon Walden

Reaction score
I don't mind it being difficult, especially if I can save upwards of $300 (we were quoted about $500 I believe). I definitely don't want to ruin anything or permanently damage anything, but if I have some one there who could keep an eye out and help, I think that may suffice.

Were you saying at wouldn't be smart for me try it or just that it wouldn't be easy? The latter I can handle.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's doable. Be careful when using power tools for cutting cast iron pipe. Pick up a good new blade or two. Be aware that the blade has a range of motion beyond the pipe, and that there may be wood behind there. Once the pipe is out, it's a matter of assembling much like working with Tinker Toys. Or do people remember what those are. So many games now are screen games and not physical games. We used to make carts to coast down hills borrowing wheels from Trikes, and spikes off of job sites. Sometimes we would hang ropes from tall tree branches and make swings, or climb higher up and make viewing platforms for overlooking the town.

Deavon Walden

Reaction score
As part of the "millennial" generation, I do miss the time where it wasn't all about technology.... But with that being said, I'll see if I can find some one to help me out with it, but I'm no stranger to power tools and what not, so I don't think that should be much of a problem. I'll learn what else I can about the makings of the pipes I'll be working with. Might you know of any websites or YouTube channels that may have more information for me?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Deavon Walden

Reaction score
Got it. That makes sense. I'll see what I can find out and hopefully I'll be able to do it soon. Thank you for your help!

I'll most likely post some pictures of the finished product, assuming I'll be able to get it done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks