Fixing old grout w/ small bits chipped out - is there a wipe-on sealer/filler?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
These 50+ year old bathtub tiles are set very close together, less than 1/8".

There are numerous little "chips" that don't seen to go deep to the backing board, but maybe they have little cracks that do.

I'd rather not scrape out the grout down deep enough to re-grout in all these places.

I'd like to re-whiten the grout and then wipe on a sealer that hopefully also has enough body to fill these little divots.

Is there a product that will do that?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Cement based grout would need to be fairly deep (at least half the total depth) to hold in place. With 1/8" grout lines, you could use either sanded or unsanded, but if they are smaller than 1/8", it's easier to used unsanded. Matching grout that is new is sometimes tough, trying ot match some that is 50-years old is likely nearly impossible. There are some cleaners that might brighten the existing grout up some. Sealers generally are a (nearly) clear liquid that gets absorbed into the grout, it doesn't have any fill capability. You might check out www.johnbridge.com for some thoughts. At 50-years, the work to cut out the grout would almost drive me to replace the tile and update the valve at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks