Fixing a leaking toilet - Kohler Saile K-3564 ( West Vancouver Repair )

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Jun 25, 2011.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

I was up in Caulfield looking at a leaking toilet last week. Leaking is the wrong term because it only leaked once and then stopped. But after the plunge the smell stayed behind.

[​IMG]

It was a weird case. The smell seamed to come and go. It was after I removed the toilet and cleaned the area that I figured out what was happening.

When I covered the area with plastic and was packing up for the day the plastic moved... Weird.

I went downstairs and asked if the homeowner had opened any fans or windows and as it turns out she had just opened the patio doors. I guessed that the wind that raced in from outside leaked through the kitchen pot lights and up through the tiny spaces around the toilet flange and it did.

That answered the smell but not the leak.

When I measured the toilet it was set for a 12" rough in (finished wall) and the flange was set at 11". Whoops.

[​IMG]

You can see the depression in the collar where it didn't sit right.

Does anyone know if Kohler makes a shorter rough in for the K-3564?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you think I could cheat the floor rough in and perhaps cheat the toilets waste pipe to make up the inch? I think I can get 3/8" from the floor collar and perhaps with a little heat gun loving or my baby torch I could persuade the toilets waste outlet to go where I want???

A tad sketchy for sure but the clients love the toilet.

Kohler Saile elongated one-piece toilet with dual flush technology
    K -3564
  2. johnfrwhipple

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
  3. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member

Your Odor

The smell was from the toilet drain pipe, not around the flange. As you know there is usually no trap from the toilet to the vent pipe. The toilet is the trap. When the door down stairs was opened, the air pressure in the home changed causing air to flow out of the pipe into the room. Air was provided by the vent.
  4. johnfrwhipple

I have not found any adapter or any toilet close to this Kohler in a smaller rough in.

In order to keep this out of the landfill I think I will try and go "Medieval" on this toilet and force it to work with my calculations.

Where did I put that heat gun and my fiber-glass boat repair kit???
  5. johnfrwhipple

Twice I went out to the shop to shorten the toilets waste pipe and twice my radar went off telling me that this was a very bad idea. On a different job site i was inspecting the old lead shield for the toilets waste and a light bulb went off.

I figure since the original toilet flange was to low any way perhaps I could cheat the new flange by 3/8" and then cheat again the top flange by 3/8" and gain the 3/4" distance from the finished wall that I need.

I picked up a flange extension kit and a bunch of different wax rings.

[​IMG]
    Extension Ring. I had to cut this to fit.

[​IMG]
    You can see I modified the bolt holes to fudge the top adapter forward.

[​IMG]
    Dropped in like butter!

I'm glad I could get this toilet back in. The options for shorter rough in toilets leave a lot to be desired.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011