First time poster. Need help with tub fixtures!

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by zsnyder, Apr 23, 2013.

1. zsnyder

zsnyder New Member

Hey guys, just bought my first house, i've been diy-ing as much stuff as i can. I was wondering if anyone can help me out with something that has me completely stumped.

Just installed new tub fixtures (spout, shower head, handle) by delta. I got new cold/hot shut offs installed, connected flexible water lines, turned on the cold and it worked. Turned off cold and turned on the hot water, could hear it run to the line when i turned it on, but then when i went to the bathroom to turn on the hot in the tub, nothing happened.

I'm not sure if I have something wrong with the tub, or what the deal is? Any ideas? I do have hot water in the sink in the bathroom, so it's not an issue with the water heater. Also, when i disconnected the water line, there was hot water at the rim of the connection point, but of course, nothing runs through.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you do not have BOTH hot and cold turned on it is not supposed to deliver ANY water, even cold. What kind of "flexible water lines" do you have, especially if you can "disconnect" them?
  3. zsnyder

zsnyder New Member

hj, they are just simple flexible supply hoses, ones like you use to connect sink faucets.

[​IMG]

One is an aluminum type one that is connected by nuts, and the other is a newer plastic type.

I can try and take some pictures tomorrow if this would help. So you're saying it may be something as easy as turning both on and running them? Sorry if these aren't proper terms for these items. I'm not well versed (yet) in plumbing terminology.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

All modern tub/shower valves have antiscald technology in them, and require BOTH hot and cold water supplies to be on at the same time to work. If you only have one on, the safety valve MIGHT get lodged at one end, and need some help to return to its 'normal' position and let water through. This is more of an issue with an older valve. Just turn both the hot and cold on and see if it works. If not, a whack with a rubber mallet may dislodge the spool valve.
  5. asktom

asktom Member

Those flex are not approved inside a wall. You don't want to do it that way.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They are also usually too small to give good volume to a shower valve. They are LABELED "not for use in concealed locations". If the cold worked with the hot turned off, it should not have, so the balancer might have gotten jammed to the hot side. if so, you won't get hot water even with both turned on.
  7. zsnyder

zsnyder New Member

cool, thanks guys. Like i said, this is my first house and i don't have a lot of experience with this. Can you guys suggest a good place for me to read up on how or what I should connect the tub with? I always thought flexible lines were the way to go with this?

Thanks again.
  8. asktom

asktom Member

Read up here. What kind of pipe do you have... threaded galvanized, soldered copper, PEX, CPVC or... ? A picture is worth a bunch of words.
  9. zsnyder

zsnyder New Member

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up. Thank you again.
  10. zsnyder

zsnyder New Member

ok guys... been busy sanding floors and doing lights. Thankfully i can do these things a little better than plumbing. Here are some pictures. Any help is awesome.

this is a picture of the delta piece where the water/shower/tub connects:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/manyslus/2013-04-26190330.jpg

this is a pic of the 2 shutoff valves. One is pvc, the other appears to be galvanized.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/manyslus/2013-04-26190321.jpg

here's a pic of the whole thing.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/manyslus/2013-04-26190308.jpg

ideally, i'd like to do this myself if it's a fairly easy fix. I didn't put in any of this plumbing, except the delta piece, so if it's screwed up, let me know! Thanks