Firestopping Plumbing Supply Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Leaky1

Reaction score
What size holes should I drill for 1/2†copper supply lines penetrating 2x top plates and sole plates and how should they be firestopped.

Thanks

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The size of the hole isn't a big deal.

You should use an intumescent sealant, to caulk around the penetration.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I use a 1 3/8" hole with various types of plastic inserts to secure the piping. We seal the openings with expanding foam, since all that is needed is to minimize air flow. It makes no sense to "fire proof" an opening in a piece of wood which is going to burn anyway. "Fire stopping" is only needed for "fire rated" structures which are NOT made of combustible materials. And you cannot use ANY flammable materials in them, such as PVC or ABS drain lines, etc.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It makes a LOT of sense to firestop penetrations even in wood. The idea is to slow down the fire, giving occupants a little more time to get out, and delaying the spread of the fire until the fire department arrives. Just recently in my neighborhood, a fire started in the garage. Ultimately the garage was completely comsumed, but the residents got out, and the house itself, while suffering some damage and smoke, was saved by the FD.

I think it is true, however, that the special intumescent fire calks are NOT required in residential single family construction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks