Fireplace removal

Users who are viewing this thread

philp

Reaction score
I'm removing a gas fireplace as its an eyesore and we never use it. I've turned off the gas from a stop valve outside.

Can anyone tell me if I need a certified gas fitter to cap the gas line or can I do it myself? (I'm in Ontario.) I'll be capping the line on the outside wall of the chimney next to the stop valve.

By the way, should I run the pilot to use up the gas in the line before disconnecting or can I just disconnect with good ventilation?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There might be someone from Canada that knows, but the majority of the people here are from the USA, so what's good for us, may not suit your local requirements...so, be careful of any answers. Your best answer would be from your local building inspector.

There's unlikely enough gas in the unpressurized (presumably short) line to the burner where it would pose an risk after you shut off the supply.

philp

Reaction score
There might be someone from Canada that knows,...

Thanks. Yes the code is different and there has been some change to what a homeowner can do inside a detached house i.e. I'm fairly sure I could cap the gas line if the stop valve were inside the house. But mine is located on an outside wall and runs copper through the back of the chimney which I don't want to keep regardless of whether I reuse the gas line. I don't know if this setup would pass code today - I don't like the idea of someone accidentally (or maliciously) turning the gas back on without my knowledge.

There's unlikely enough gas in the unpressurized (presumably short) line to the burner where it would pose an risk after you shut off the supply.

The line is about 15 feet and as the line is below the fireplace I'm fairly sure the slight pressure would burn off easily - I doubt it's a safety issue, just wondered what standard practice was.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks