Fire Rated Ceiling- Condo

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by KULTULZ, Oct 15, 2008.

1. KULTULZ

KULTULZ Jack of all trades, Master of none

I am remodeling a condo (daughter's) with a fire rated ceiling (Type X fire rated drywall hung on metal channels-sound suppression) with protruding fire sprinkler heads.

I have opened a ceiling and after studying the system, am thinking about going to QuietRock over the channel system.

The fire sprinkler estucheons. Are they removable to be able to apply new drywall? I have been told that they merely clip to the head and can be pulled down. I understand I will have to shim the overhead joists to get to the origional depth so as not having to shutdown the system and replacing the heads.

Any insight here? Thanx!

Attached Files:

2. KULTULZ

KULTULZ Jack of all trades, Master of none

Found my info-

Attached Files:

3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heads

The fire suppression heads MUST have the proper projection, meaning exactly the same as originally, from the finished ceiling to provide the proper spray pattern.