Fire Pit on top of Septic Field?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by DarkNova, Jul 22, 2009.

1. DarkNova

DarkNova New Member

We're looking at building a fairly small (~ 2 ft inside diameter) brick fire pit in our backyard. The ideal place would be the corner of the yard that happens to have the septic field under it. Would this be a problem? The 2 issues I can think of are the weight and the heat, but I am under the impression that the septic field is several feet deep and I wouldn't think either of those factors would be able to penetrate that deep, but I could be wrong. Or maybe there's another reason I cannot think of right now. The fire pit would not be used very often -- once every couple weeks at most and probably not even that. Any opinions? Thanks.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

fire pit

A fire pit over the seepage field has no problems. Putting it over the septic tank would not be a good move.
  3. DarkNova

DarkNova New Member

Yes, I meant that the pit would be on top of the seepage field, definitely no where near the septic tank itself. Thanks.