Fire Hazard? Expanding Foam - Electric Boxes

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by molo, May 8, 2009.

1. molo

molo Member

Is there a fire hazard created when you put expanding foam around electric boxes? What, if anything, is safe when using the foam around a box?

Thanks for any replies:)
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Supposedly foam is fine around boxes. Just make sure all holes are sealed so the foam does not enter the boxes.
  3. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

In that case heat dissipation from the box due to I²R loss and bad wirenutting/connections depends on heat conduction through the copper and the cover plate being at room temp. I guess the NEC has already figured the boxes would be insulated with no air flow around them.
  4. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

I have never heard of "heat dissipation" around electrical enclosures being an issue.
    A failed connection just need to be contained for safety.

I would say the NEC definitely has considered this assuming many boxes and enclosures are on exterior walls and ceilings.
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

I guess that means that enclosures have, or the air in them has, never gotten to 120 °C :D
    "Wood slowly chars [at] 120°-150°"
    but failed connections certainly have
    "Electrical arcing [up to] to 3750°[C]

I guess air is pretty good thermal insulator.
    Last edited: May 9, 2009