Finishing Cement Board

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by viennamicro, Sep 30, 2007.

1. viennamicro

viennamicro New Member

I'm replacing my bathroom walls with cement board and need to know how to finish them - specifically, what is the "skim coat" material I should use on it?

I thought about drywall mud, but after thinking on it some more, I don't believe it's a good idea. I plan to put up a tub surround in the shower and I want to paint the walls.

Can anybody help on this one?
  2. plaster you buy as dry powder and then mix with water will be a bit better than drywall compound, because of the way it holds together better when moisture gets into it.

outside of the shower surround, how much water will get on the wall?

david
  3. viennamicro

viennamicro New Member

With any luck, the walls will be dry except for accidents.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Generally, except around the tub/shower, cbu is not generally particularly useful. Normal drywall outside of the shower is fine. In the tub/shower, install a vapor barrier on the walls first, lap it over the tub's tiling flange, cut it off after you get the cbu up.

The setting wall compound is a little stronger outside of the shower, but the premixed stuff should work as well. WIthout the tapers, it is a little harder to get a nice joint, but possible.