Finished Basement with Exposed Ceiling Pipes - Can they be moved?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by SSug, Sep 20, 2009.

1. SSug

SSug New Member

Hello,
    Considering buying a home with a finished basement (900 sqft of space), but has about a dozen or so exposed pipes that hang about 5-6" below the ceiling running through middle of the rooms. Ceiling height right now is about 6' 3". It is quite the obstacle course down there, but would be nice if the pipes could be moved, so I was wonder if it would be possible to move pipes up the 5 to 6" inches necessary to get them into the basement ceiling so they are no longer exposed? Has anyone dealt with this in the past? If so, what would something like this cost to do?
    Thanks!
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

What kind of pipes are they? Sanitary, water, or maybe even something else.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

What are the pipes and what size? If it is ridgid pipe like copper, you would have to replace with flexible soft copper to fish it through.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipes

Whether you can do it or not depends on what kind of pipes they are. Water pipes no problem, heating lines maybe problems, drain lines definitely a problem.
  5. SSug

SSug New Member

Thanks for the replies. The pipes are water and radiated water heat pipes. I hope that helps.

Thank you!
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There's a limit on how many and how big (and their placement) when drilling holes in joists to run pipes across them, so that may be a concern, too. You could probably substitute the rigid pipe with either flexible copper or pex. You don't want to notch the bottom of the joists...that weakens them far more than a hole in the middle, and is against code most places, too.
  7. hj

pipes

Water okay. Heating lines you have to be careful not to create air pockets.
  8. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Related question: my water pipes are currently run along the bottom of the joists.

Will this be OK when finishing my basement (I plan on hanging a suspended ceiling)?

I don't want to have to drill even more holes in the joists (the electrical has done enough of that).
  9. SSug

SSug New Member

Thank you for the information. I will take all that into consideration as we move forward.
  10. hj

pipes

Ian; You have the best situation and solution.