Finding short in Cat5e cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Jriker1

Reaction score
I am in the process of cleaning up my cables and as part of it testing all connections. One cat5e wire that snakes thru the walls and I can NOT replace as it's not going to pull around the bends, is showing what seems like a short according to my simple tester. It goes thru wire 1, 2, 3, 4, and then 5 and 6 light up, then when it would be showing 6 5 and 6 flicker and stay lit again, then goes to 7 and 8. This happens with the connectors on either end not plugged into anything. As a matter of fact if I connect the battery powered end of the tester on one end, and don't connect the other end it still does this. I replaced one side of the connector but not the other. Any recommendation on what to do? I have heard there are devices that can literally tell you how far along the cable the short is, but not sure if I would have access to one at the local home depot or what. Thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? Or a different way to wire up the connection to get the most use out of the cable as is?

Thanks.

JR

Reach4

Reaction score
Identify which wires are shorted. Measure the resistance between the shorted wires from each end. The resistance will be lower near the short.

http://www.incentre.net/tech-support/other-support/ethernet-cable-color-coding-diagram/ says
You can also see that both the blue and brown wire pairs on pins 4, 5, 7, and 8 are not used in either standard. What you may not realize is that, these same pins 4, 5, 7, and 8 are not used or required in 100BASE-TX as well.
An RJ45 Ethernet Connector Breakout Board can make taking readings easier. Probing with alligator clips grabbing small sewing needles used as probes is awkward.

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Like Reach4 said, 10/100/1000 baseT only use two pairs -- just use the good ones.

Gigabit ethernet use all four, I think. Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the RFC.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
They usually reserve the other pairs for PoE or telephone. You could always change/rewire the jacks for the good pair of wires, but the integrity is already compromised and might create a bottle neck if you push too much data through it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Probably a staple or nail went through the wire somewhere in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks