Filter after chlorination?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnInSaratoga

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought our first house and it has well water which is giving off a sulfur smell. Had 2 estimates done along with water tests, and did my own water test using kit from Home Depot. Iron came back at 0.4 ppm and sulfur at 0.5 ppm. We also have a black slimy substance in one of the toilet tanks.

Both estimates recommended a Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, a 120 gal retention tank, and a carbon backwash filter after chlorination, all to the tune of $3300 and $4500. Do we have less expensive options as far as the filter on the back end of the process? Could a home master 2 or 3 stage filtration system take care of whatever chlorine/iron/sulfur is coming in? Thanks all!

Reach4

Reaction score
That system sounds like it would be effective. I don't know if that would be the going rate.

A alternative would be a backwashing system using Katalox Light media. The GPM that you want to pass through the filter will determine how much media that would need.

Note that "sulfur" number number from the HD test is not measuring H2S (hydrogen sulfide), but your nose is good enough to determine that.

Your "home master 2 or 3 stage filtration system" sounds enticing, but it is not going to be up to the job.

I suggest you sanitize your well. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing is the method I like best. Spring is a great time for that. Some use a much simpler system-- just pour x gallons of chlorine bleach down teh well. The more extensive method is worth doing.

You might also consider a lab test. I like kit90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ Figure a little under 2 weeks from when you order the kit to when they email the results.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
$3300 and $4500. is complete insanity

If black slime is only growing in one toilet tank I would not think it is in your system, it is just in that one toilet. You should be able to shot it off and clean everything in the tank. Use bleach to kill the bacteria etc. You may have to clean it and let it dry toi get rid of all of it.

Your iron and sulfur levels are not very high so you have a lot of different options that will work for you.
Here is one that does both for a lot less:
http://www.waterfilters.net/1-Cubic-Foot-Iron-Reduction-Fleck-2510sxt-Pyrolox-Backwash-Filter.html/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks