Filox Iron Filter Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Bob999 - I see your points. The 80 seconds I measured (before really addressing the need to adjust the pressure tank per Gary Slusser's recommendation) was from pump off to pump on.

The time from pump off to pump on is the time for the pressure tank to empty. You have computed the flow rate during backwash and confirmed that you have ~14 gpm backwash flow.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The Filox systems usually work very well, just as yours is. The problems of the past with maganese dioxide ore based medias was usually caused by inadequtate backwashing. Congrats on the fine looking water.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Your note about being worried about using this much water is something very much on my mind. This past summer was absolutely brutal and though we didn't get a drought ban on water usage, if this kind of heat keeps up I'd be worried about a lot of wells drying up. The homeowners are frugal users of water, BUT they did just install an irrigation system having a drip side and a pressure side with large garden areas. The house is equipped with rainwater capture and recirculation systems, but in the summertime the wellpump really cranks when the irrigation system come on - it's all plumbed with 1" lines.

That is alot of water useage. For my family, 140 gallons every two days would be at least a 50% increase in water useage. One of the other downsides to manganese dioxide iron filters.

I guess one could add the expense of boring a dry well and return the backwash to the water table below.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks