Fill valve height problem

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by sergioq, Feb 18, 2008.

1. sergioq

sergioq New Member

Today I installed a new ballcock, the Fluidmaster Fill Valve. All is fine and dandy except one thing. Even at its highest setting, it still leaves much less water in my tank than the previous unit.

So I was wondering if there are any known solutions? For instance, does anyone make an extension platform that acts like a bigger washer? Or, and I don't know the physics of flotation well enough, but would perhaps weighting the floater cut off do the trick?

Am sure I must be asking something that has been asked a million times before.

Please, if it's not obvious by my post, I am a layman, so please leave me any answers using words and terms I can understand ;-)

Thanks ahead of time,

Sergio
  2. krow

krow Plumber

That has to be some big tank.

I hope you know that the stem or housing has a lock nut at the base that can be loosened . Then you lift the entire shaft to have a different level of water
  3. sergioq

sergioq New Member

This is what I thought, but I am almost sure that the platform at the base of the shaft was SOLID, and not a screw. This is why I named the manufacturer of the ballcock, in case someone knew somethign specific about it.

Truth is in the end I'll have to empty is all again, and look, just hoping that someone can give me a specific answer before I do it all again. Being a layman I am extra scared of breaking something. Once I finished, and realized there are no leaks, etc. I am so reluctant to go back in ;-)
  4. krow

krow Plumber

At the base of the ballcock (inside the tank), there should be a white collar. It does not look like a lock nut, but thats what it should be
  5. sergioq

sergioq New Member

Going by the box, and documentation, the collar on the inside appears to be solid and physically part of the shaft. I call it the collar, but if I had to say the piece of what I am talking apart, it's the part that goes flush against the washer at the inside of the tank.

Tomorrow morning I will take it apart and look for real, but If I am right, and it is solid, (I already opened the shaft to its maximum) are there any extention solutions? Or weighting the floating value?
  6. krow

krow Plumber

Lets make sure we are both on the same page . Don't forget to lock it back down

Attached Files:

7. Herk

Herk Plumber

One of the drawbacks to the Fluidmaster is that it can shoot clear off the base because there is nothing to stop it once the locking ring is released. Make sure to turn off the water first.
  8. krow

krow Plumber

Glad you pointed that out Herk.

I personaly hate those ballcocks. You can't repair them, you can only replace the shaft.
  9. sergioq

sergioq New Member

Wow, thanks! Guess what? It wasn't locked! Granted, I haven't found what I was looking for, but boy am I glad I posted here!
  10. sergioq

sergioq New Member

You know, it's locked now, for sure, but am so paranoid. Am afraid to go to sleep.
  11. sergioq

sergioq New Member

Sorry for the reminder, but any thoughts on my original question in this thread?

And please don't take that the wrong way, am thrilled that due to this thread I fixed one MAJOR oversight.

Thanks again
  12. krow

krow Plumber

Not that I know of

I highly doubt that would work. I don't think any proffesional plumber would suggest any such weighting. Possibilities of failure is high

Have you tried adjusting the floater to a higher level?? I assumed you already tried that, I'm just double checking
  13. sergioq

sergioq New Member

Yes, I have it fully extanded. And I can tell from the water line (as well as flushing power) that it fills the tank far less than the previous ballcock device.
  14. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Okay, just so we're on the same wavelength: the tower itself is extended as far up as it will go AND the rod on the float is adjusted to give the maximum water height and it still isn't high enough?

How low is it in comparison to the old one?

On the metal rod, you've got that so most of it extends below the v-clip?
  15. sergioq

sergioq New Member

Thank you very much! Actually, thanks to all that gave their time to try and help me. Got more than one thing out of this thread.

Sergio
  16. krow

krow Plumber

This is what jadnashua is talking about

Attached Files:

17. sergioq

sergioq New Member

Yes, that's why I highlighted it in red in the quote. It was something I was unaware of, etc. And THAT WAS THE KEY. Got me more water now ;-)

Many thanks again.