Fill Valve assistance please!

Users who are viewing this thread

MyDucky

Reaction score
My husband isn't handy with plumbing and I'm undergoing chemo and shouldn't even attempt a plumbing DIY.......

I noticed a week ago that my toilet was flushing fine, but the bowl wasn't filling up. I found the answer here on another post and checked my boys' toilet and sure enough the fill tube from the fill valve is pointed into the tank and not the overflow tube. I put it back, but as soon as I flushed, it "popped" back out.

Is this an easy/inexpensive fix or an expensive one? DIY really isn't an option here.

Toilets are date-stamped 1985......I think they're original to when our condo was built as an apartment building.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need some sort of clip on the hose to hold it in place. If everything else is working, I'd try to come up with something to hold that hose in the right position. But, a replacement fill valve is a fairly simple job that doesn't require many (if any) tools. It's a good idea to replace the hose from the shutoff to the fill valve at the same time since moving it around may give you issues if it is old at all.

Review this video, and then ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyDucky

Reaction score
Review this video, and then ask questions.

okay this helped a lot. Its a manafield toilet and nothing wrong with the tube or assembly of that mechanism the korky replaced in the video.

The white stopper thing that she inserted the fill tube into is what is causing the fill tube to disengage. I think that piece is broken.

Recommendations? I really am tempted to just have someone install new toilets in both bathrooms. LOL

Reach4

Reaction score
Recommendations? I really am tempted to just have someone install new toilets in both bathrooms. LOL
You want new toilets, and this is the justification you were looking for. Go for it.

MyDucky

Reaction score
If you take a picture of what you have it will be easier to to tell you how to fix it.

how it should be
20160126_124437.jpg

how it is
20160126_124448.jpg

what happens when I flush
20160126_124242.jpg

Reaction score
Is this an easy/inexpensive fix or an expensive one? DIY really isn't an option here.
It appears you may not want to do any of the DIY repairs suggested.

Looks like it broke at the threads where the top piece fastens to it.

If you are asking for inexpensive, looks like all you got to do is whatever you can to keep that top piece down.

High heat glue gun or quick epoxy may work.

A few wraps of duct tape may work.

A piece of wood wedged inside between the back and front of the tank, holding the piece down may work.

Any repairs you attempt won't make it worse, short of a proper repair to replace the flush valve assembly.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
A new toilet will be better than a 1985 toilet.

For shopping consideration, consider whether a basic (modest price) very effective toilet is what you want, or is an upgraded style important also. Key to the appearance choices are terms like "skirted" or "concealed trapway".

For fitting a toilet, the standard dimension is that the middle of the mounting (closet flange) bolts be 12 inches from the wall, and maybe a little less than that from a baseboard if there is one. If your dimension varies from that much, you will adjust your selection. But 12 inch (plus or minus a tad) would give you maximum choice.

Decide base height. Most newer toilets are a little taller than they used to be. "Extended" is preferred by most people for most bathrooms. Decide one piece or two. If you want one piece (some price premium) because it looks better, say that you are choosing that because it is easier to clean. :)

In the scheme of things, there is a fairly wide price variation by percent of price. But considering that you will probably get another 30 years or so out of the new toilet, the price difference is relatively small.

So having a toilet in mind would be good when you call your plumber. You will see a lot of threads where people discuss the merits of one toilet or another.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks