Fiberglass tub is starting to flex

Users who are viewing this thread

kalenwright

Reaction score
I have a one piece fiberglass tub/shower. I just noticed when I took a bath the other day that it was flexing when I moved. I thought it was going to crack or something. I did a little investigating and noticed that the tub has a support that runs the length of the tub on both sides. However, I don't think there is any support in the center. I went to ********* and they suggested a spray some expanding foam underneath the base. Last night I opened up the access panel to the hot and cold valves and tried to see if I could see under the tub. There appears to be a reinforcing brace across the width, but does not make contact with the floor (about an inch clearance). I proceeded to spray the foam under the base using a 5 foot piece of plastic tubing. The problem is I can't see how much foam is being released. Therefore, I can't see how much the foam has expanded. Do I just keep sparaying foam underneath everyday until the flexing stops or do I just call a plumber. I'm a big guy about 240 so I'm very concerned. I a take a shower it flexes but it does not sound like its going to crack. Any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
You definitely need(ed) to do something there, and I suspect the foam was not the best idea. The bottom of a tub needs a solid foundation, and that foam is easy to crush.

I would stop spraying foam and find a way to get something solid under your tub before its bottom cracks through altogether. That happened to me a couple of years ago, and I ended up cutting out the bad part and glassing in a new bottom. The work you need to do (or to have done) might be difficult, but the alternative is the complete replacement of a bottomless tub.

wes-in-nc

Reaction score
I think your tub should have been set in motar when it was installed for support. Its gives it a solid feel when your in it. I agree that the foam will only crush under your body weight. Is the access panel your only means of access?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks