Fiberglass shower recommendations

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dzd9fy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. dzd9fy

dzd9fy New Member

In the process of redoing our basement bathroom and thinking of installing a fiberglass or acrylic shower enclosure due to speed and cost. At least I am assuming it is cheaper and quicker??

Anyways, what are the recommendations on manufactures to consider and or to avoid? A quick walk through the big box stores did not have anything that I am thinking will hold up to much use, but I have been unable to find much here on the net. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

I should mention that I have an available opening of approximately 39" x 39", so I am considering a 36" square unit, with plans to put the controls and head on the left side as standing on the outside looking in. Also, the max height is 7'-0" from the cement slab floor.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. Dan Pick

Dan Pick New Member

If you want it to last and be easy to clean I would definetly go with acrylic.

Today's fiberglass is junk. One more cost reduction by thinning the wall thickness and all units will break in shipping.

Or you could go with solid surface, Swanstone, Viktrel......etc.

This is a great example of "You get what you pay for".

Good Luck.

I'm in the process of remodeling my basement bath and I went with an acrylic shower pan and walls.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some of the people have said they like Sterling. You should be able to find it with a google search.
  4. Sterling is the best

so the sterling fiberglass unit

it is the absolute best .......

probably cost you about $325.00