Fiberglass Exterior Doors

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Weaselpolooza, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Weaselpolooza

Weaselpolooza New Member

Can Fiberglass exterior door be painted? I have come across some cheap doors, but they are not the color I want.
  2. OldPete

OldPete DIY Senior Member

Yes. In fact, they must be, in most cases to keep warranty on them.

Pete
  3. Weaselpolooza

Weaselpolooza New Member

Actually they are already painted. I would be painting over the existing paint to match my color scheme. Is this OK?
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Go for it.
  5. OldPete

OldPete DIY Senior Member

Yes. And if you use a stripper or something to remove the paint (and not the kind you find in a night-club, ;)) -- use care since some of them can do funky things to fiberglass.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I think paint stripper would be a waste of time and effort on a fiberglass door. You might want to lightly sand the surface, but even that might not be necessary, depending on the paint you use.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I agree with G.S. This is a straightforward paint issue....surface prep is the key. I wouldn't use any chemicals, not even liquid sandpaper. A little TSP would probably take any sheen off, then I would use a good coat of primer and best quality acrylic topcoat.
  8. indyjps

indyjps mechanical engineer

ive done them with auto paint, scuff them down, degrease and shoot the paint, you can have it mixed in any color and any amount of shine. use a single stage with a hardener and youre good to go. you can even wax them once a year.