Fertilizing the yard

Users who are viewing this thread

GypsyMarket

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently put done a big portion of sod that has taken quite nicely. I was wondering how often I should fertilize my yard? How soon after planting new sod before I can fertilize?

I bought Scott's Turf Builder, is that a good brand?

Any advice would be appreciated....

Prashster

Reaction score
Your main concern this season is getting those roots to establish. Watering sufficiently is key to that. How often you water depends on where you live.

The only fertilizer I'd put down now is one that stimulates root development.

If you suffer the heat of the summer, I'd water frequently (possibly every day), later in the season (sept+) I'd water less frequently, but deeper.

Then I'd put down a winterizer.

Next year, you're best off following a '4 step' program like Scott's has.

Scrapin

Reaction score
I own a landcaping business so this is right up my alley. Any new seed, new growth (sod) rule of thumb is wait at least four weeks before putting any fertilizer down. Only exception is using starter fertilizer in the soil before you put the sod down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks