Fernco Wax-Free Seal VS. plain wax ring VS. wax + black plastic flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

MOV

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm installing my first toilet (couldn't afford the Toto like we wanted, so we went with the American Standard Cadet 3 "Flush Right"), and the instructions say to use a wax ring. So I bought a Bol-Wax No.1.

Then I removed the old toilet and found a wax ring with a black plastic flange -- a sort of "funnel" going down into the drain. Assuming that was the way to go, I picked up a No-Seep No.1 with the black funnel.

Then enter the father-in-law, who says he stopped using wax altogether and he pulls out the box for the "Fernco Wax Free Toilet Seal" and says I should get one of those... so I do.

Needless to say, probably should have looked into it a little more, being my first toilet, before I bought one of each... but alas, here I am with all three and I don't know which to install on my new Cadet 3. It's going on a concrete floor, replacing an old toilet, with a slightly warped closet flange already there. I just want to make sure it's sealed and works and I have no trouble. The Wax Free thing looks nice and simple, but will it work as well as good ol' wax? And what's up with that black funnel flange option on the wax? Please help! :) Thanks!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I generally use just wax, figuring it's worked for a few hundred years, so why go fancy? If you don't have sufficient clearance between the flange and the toilet base, some of the fancy seals will cause the toilet to rock. There are several threads in this forum on how to proceed; here's one:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50098

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks