Fernco to CI leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Again, Fernco is a big company that makes thousands of things, among them, the thing some people have come to call a Fernco and meaning a thick rubber sleeve with two hose clamps on it. Sort of like everyone calling a tissue a Kleenex, when that company makes lots of paper products like napkins, pads, and who knows what. SOrt of like calling all cars a Ford.

Those are legal most places but ONLY outside of the foundation, underground where you have properly supported the two sections of pipe so that they don't sag and create a stepped connection. Inside of a building, you must use a banded coupling - the metal band around the whole thing ensures both ends of the pipe are kept in-line. A similar fitting is used to connect hubless cast iron pipe...the things are robust when installed properly.
I use to use these all the time, until i started getting callbacks, I was new at the time. Now I dont remember the last time I used one. I even argued with my boss not to buy them, now we have the slide one with the band and 4 1/4 lock bands. I even think mj's are the same price as these rubber things

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I even argued with my boss not to buy them, now we have the slide one with the band and 4 1/4 lock bands. I even think mj's are the same price as these rubber things
The ones with the four clamps on them are no-hub, designed for hubless cast iron. The extra set of clamps make it more reliable holding the heavy CI pipes and fittings. THey'll work on pvc, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks