Feeling stupid- can't figure out how to turn on shower...

Users who are viewing this thread

Liesel Polizzi

Reaction score
Well, sadly the post title says it all-
My husband and I bought a house last week, and he tried to take a shower this morning; we must have spent a good 30 minutes trying to get the Delta faucet to switch from the "fill tub" position to the "shower" position- we pushed, pulled, twisted, etc. every part of it without any luck. :confused: I can't begin to tell you how silly we felt! He ended up taking a bath for the first time in years! :p

It's a single piece, Delta faucet; the house was built in 1992, so I assume it's from that period. It has a plastic collar lever on the right which controls volume of water, and an inner circle dial which controls temperature. There didn't seem to be any thing with the shower head itself, or the bottom of the drain thing-ie to pull to switch it over- we REALLY would like to take showers instead of baths, so if anyone out there has any suggestions...! :eek:

Much thanks!

delta_tub_spout.jpg

delta-pull-down-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
tub+shower diverter

If you have not found the diverter yet?At the end of the tub spout where the water pours out, pull down on it,that is the diverter for that model of Delta T+S.

delta_tub_spout.jpg

Liesel Polizzi

Reaction score
Will give it a try..

I tried Delta.com- they weren't online- need to try again later.... will look for the diverter- it seemed like a smooth surface without any switches pulls, etc., from what I can remember, but I could be wrong! We are still somewhat in our apt. so I will give it a try later today. Thanks! Hope it works!

Liesel

Liesel Polizzi

Reaction score
Tubbin' it still..

Well, I need to try the ring thing- I was so excited to hopefully have it figured out- I went over there last night, and still couldn't get it to divert... will try the ring thing tomorrow... sigh.... still feelin' pretty stupid.

:rolleyes:

DavidGrant

Reaction score
Liesel, Don't feel stupid. I remember coming across this very situation at my sister's home. It took me a bit to find the diverter as well, as it seemed to make sense that there would be something more obvious and easy to see. Fear not, I am sure you will find the solution.

Chicha

Reaction score
delta_tub_spout.jpg

hey :) i had the same problem.. delta faucet.. pulled on the smooth ring it worked haha :D

MarshaMarr

Reaction score
7 years later - same problem - just proves that over the years, we're all still the same.
So nice to find the answer so easily. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
If you have not found the diverter yet?At the end of the tub spout where the water pours out, pull down on it,that is the diverter for that model of Delta T+S.

I wonder how many hundreds of people this single post has helped?

When I first found Terry's site I was looking for install help on a Toto toilet. Found Terry's info and saved myself a huge headache. Love love love the internet. JW

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The spout comes with a peel-off sticker...I left that on until it started looking funky so visitors could take a shower without issue. Of the divertor spouts out there, that one tends to work quite well for longer than many others.

Yay

Reaction score
I'm house sitting for a friend and was going crazy trying to figure it out. This page was the first thing I came across when I googled "can't turn shower on". Still helping in November 2015! Thanks!

ThanksDec2015

Reaction score
Visiting a friend in New Mexico. Tried to take a shower, and after 20 minutes, I couldn't figure how to make it divert. I jsut googled somethig along the lines of "I can't figure out faucet in shower." This was the first result and was pleased when I saw the original poster included a picture of the faucet in her post!! (Could it be that this is the worst faucet ever made as thousands of people ever year resort to google to try to figure out how it works? LoL.) I just wrapped up a long hot shower and had to post my thanks.

This faucet sucks!!! Thanks so much Internet for this thread.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
FWIW, that diverter spout design tends to work better, longer than most other designs out there AND is more flexible to install.

Stephany

Reaction score
Staying at my aunts house for the weekend and while all kids are asleep, I quietly finagled with this faucet for almost 45 min. I wrapped in a towel to google this. Much to my surprise, I'm not as silly as I felt. I tried pushing the little guy up thinking it would be similar to most. Fingers crossed the pull down works. Thanks for this even in 2016.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When new, the spout has a sticker on it to tell people how to use it. As I said earlier, it does tend to work better longer than a pull-up one.

Mommabear

Reaction score
8/18/2016......Just moved my daughter into apartment yesterday. She stood there 30 minutes in a towel trying without success to turn the shower on. She has really long hair and ended up washing it in the tub. Have never had so much trouble with shower. Why on earth would they design a shower that way. Now sitting here laughing as we read this thread....lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks