Feel like I'm getting taken advantage of.....

Users who are viewing this thread

ggirl

Reaction score
Ok, here's the story. I'm selling my house and gas inspection is required prior to closing. The gas company came out and determined by using a sensitive pressure guage (long thing with water in it), that I have a leak because I'm losing pressure. I call a plumber and they come out and use a spring guage (regular round guage which obviously does not detect small pressure changes.) and find a leak and fix it. Gas company comes back out, tests it, still leaks. Plumber comes back out fixes something else they call a leak, charge me again then leaves. (mind you this time the plumber confers with the gas guy and they find this leak) Another gas guy comes out and says that it is STILL losing pressure. I've had it at this point because I'm down $600 and the plumber still has not fixed the problem. The obvious problem is that they are using different methods to check the pressure, the gas company's being the more accurate and sensitive. My question is.... I shouldn't be paying these guys everytime they come out if they haven't fixed the problem? Am I crazy? I just stopped the second payment but am willing to reinstate it as soon as my problem is resolved. I feel like because I'm a single female that I'm getting taken advantage of. Your thoughts?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Contact the upper brass at the utility company, explain the situation and DEMAND they come in and use one of those "sniffers" that can inspect each and every leak in those lines.

That test isn't even accurate if they didn't first isolate all gas fixtures by shutting off their isolation valves.

Otherwise the ones with active pilots will show a loss of gas instantly.

If they don't use a sniffer.....tell them you want a full inspection of the gas line by a soap test to find them all and get the piping gas-tight.

ggirl

Reaction score
They used the sniff and the soap test the first time, which ironically they didn't even find the exposed leaks. The second, third, and fourth guys didn't use the sniff test only the soap. The third guy did do the systematic shut off of all the appliances and it still showed a loss. The problem is, part of the line is behind drywall. Most of the joints etc. are exposed. Shouldn't the plumber have fixed my problem the first time, much less both times???? I mean, this could go on forever and they could just charge me every time. I'm paying them to fix it. Right? I figure it would cost them at the most $20 to buy one of those cheesy looking guages. I looked for one at Home Depot but couldn't find them. Also , at this point, my gas has been shut off for 2 days and they are using air to test it.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
ggirl said:
The gas company came out and determined by using a sensitive pressure guage (long thing with water in it), that I have a leak because I'm losing pressure.

Was a soap test done on that guage and its connection(s)?

If a leak is found there, the gas company should pay your "repair" bills!

ggirl

Reaction score
Yeah, they squirted that too (at least the first three did). I'm at my wits end and broke. Do you know what kind of guage I'm talking about. I don't know another way to describe it.

David Meiland

General Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The plumber should be able to find the leak all by himself. He should disconnect the meter, disconnect all of the appliances, cap the stubouts, and attach a gauge to the system somewhere so that he can pressurize the sytem with compressed air. Then he can go around and spray each joint and see if there are bubbles. If you have any pipe fittings concealed inside walls or floors then it's not possible to check those. If your home is one story with crawl space then it should be fairly easy to see all of the piping.

If the gas company is doing their test with all of the appliances connected, and are closing the shutoff valves before the test, then they are testing the shutoff valves as well as the piping--or at least they are when they do it here... the shutoff valves have test ports where they can connect their gauges. Sometimes those valves are the culprit. I have also seen them test without closing the shutoff valves, to see whether any of the gas valves in the appliances are leaking.

The sniffer mentioned above is a great way to go, if it's available.

ggirl

Reaction score
One of the four gas guys tested with all of the valves to everything open and then systematically shut everything off while still testing. There still was a loss of pressure. Am I right in thinking that I shouldn't pay the plumber another dime until this is fixed? The plumber is using pressurized air to test but the problem is with the guage. A spring guage is not as sensitive and doesn't detect a loss until hours and hours. I mean if this was my car and I was paying someone to fix the rattle, I wouldn't keep paying them everytime I had to bring it back if the rattle wasn't fixed?????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

1. Most gas companies will tell you that there is a leak, but almost none will do anything to locate a leak after the meter. That pipe is yours and thus it is your responsibility to find and fix the leak.
2. The proper "spring" gauge will show a leak the same as the gas company's manometer.
3. After the plumber "fixes" the leak, he should retest the line to see if there are other leaks.
4. The proper gas gauge is one with a 15 psi range, and 1/10 psi graduations. If left in place for 15 minutes it will show any leak.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, if the gas company hasn't locked your meter OFF at this point, you are lucky, because that's the first thing they do here.

It does seem like this is a bit of a pozer, so I endorse the recommendation to remove all appliance connectors and valves, cap those stubs, and test from the meter union. If there is a leak, and it does not appear at an exposed point, then you have a bigger issue, because you have to start searching in the crawl space or in the attic, wherever the lines run. IF you are in an old house, and you have gas pipe under the slab, then you are done. Start the repipe job right now. I have experienced in several older buildings...apartments from the early fifties....where they had put galvanized underground, under the slab, and it just dissolves over time.

It seems you do need to be testing with a sensitive manometer, and a sensitive combustible gas leak detector. Remember that temperature change will cause the pressure to vary, so a 15 minute test is about it. Any longer and you can get confusing issues. Of course, absent a leak, the pressure would not drop to zero no matter the temp!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Crooked Plumber(s)

Whoever is working on this should have re-tested for leaks before they left. You are no doubt paying for a service call each visit, which is a rip-off.

When it comes to "sniffing out" gas leaks, my nose is superior to any sniffing device I've ever used. Then I use soap bubbles to confirm.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
one leak on each visit.

ggirl said:
... find a leak and fix it ... comes back out fixes something else ... because I'm a single female
So far, the guy found one leak on each of two visits. Why he didn't think to test more after the fixes, is up to him to explain.

I can understand the feeling, but no it is not "because" you are female or single or anything else (younger than average, less knowledgeable than average, etc) . I have often been frustrated by situations where the professionals breeze through the routine and don't do a methodical job. Maybe it's because I encourage them (indirectly and subconsciously) to act like they can just walk in, walk out, and chew gum all at the same time. I'm gonna give that some thought. :eek:

david

Cookie

Reaction score
Ggirl,

Very well could be because you are a female. Not all, will take advantage of that, but, some will, and I had met with it myself; because I am a female. Your marital status, also, plays a part, I am widowed and have met with some, who equate, female and no man in the house, as open game.

You can try to get around it by not disclosing it, but, if you are a homeowner and want something done like windows etc, the companies want to know who all owns the house, for business reasons.

It is still...no matter what one thinks, a man's world.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you got screwed

if the fella dont know what he is doing

he should just say so ......

If he did know what he was doing he
should have fixed it all %100 on the first trip......

if he had to come back out he should have apologised
and not charged you at all.....

you shoudl contact the boss and protest the charges.

after a certain point its actually easier to change out the
whole system than to get nickled and dimed to death....

fixing gas leaks is not brain surgery...

all you really need is soapy water and some common sense to
find all the leaks on one trip....

all he had to do was disconnect all the applinaces
and make sure the gas stops were holding.

about 75% of the time
its a leak a the gas stops going into the appliances...

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
tons of single women in angie's list

but they are razor sharp when it comes to protecting themselves. Sometimes they ask questions that are so in-depth to their situation I sometimes think they know more than I do ffs!

But I think most times the customer got burned by a handyman....acknowledges the mistake for going after rock bottom dollar but then wants to chisel my wages because of their mistake? No way, not going to happen.

I get miffed when I get scrutinized on that system when I have so many reports showing great consistency of reliable, wholesome goodness like fresh bread in the oven.

I just counted 7 members I blew off for either being unrealistic, trying to force me to give exact numbers or just had nonsense work that I wanted no part of. Shock was the response when I told them to find someone else. Feels good.

I conduct myself with women (which is the majority of my clientell) like they have a hubby or bf and regardless, I treat them equally on every front. You gotta remember that they have friends/family/male friends that can find out quickly what you're saying/doing.

Cookie

Reaction score
Somehow, you just described what it feels like to be a woman, just in reverse, in this man's world. Not fun.

Funny, when you get alittle education about things, men always think we know too much, lol, and are now, bold as brass.

You protect yourself in business and don't want to be taken advantage of, when clearly, men, always have the upper hand in most things relating to repairs; yet, everyone has to, including customers, no matter what gender we are, because, no one knows who is going to stiff them. It is not a challenge, it is just looking out for oneself. That is what everyone should do, to the best of their ability, no matter what side of the fence they are on.

But, until, women are seen less of a threat with men, we will always be the one's that sadly, will be taken for a ride faster than any man. Just yet, a fact of life.

Like I said, not everyone will take advantage of a woman, or man, for that fact; but, there are those that do, and when you find them, they will most likely, take advantage of a woman first. Easier prey to them, and not betraying their own.

I am glad you are not that way.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
GOOD LORD ,,, does EVERYTHING have to turn into a soap box preaching lesson ??

Between the " Life Lesson Givers " and the " I'm NOT a Pro " but I will type on for hours ,,,,,,,,,,,, I don't even bother coming here anymore , can't read between the B.S. to learn from the other guys in my trade !!

Lady ,

You got a gas leak ? The guys are trying to fix it . Granted some of us "Pros" might not be brain surgeons ,yet we are trying our best . If the gas is still on in the house your doing o.k.

Listen to the one other pro on this thread . The old stlye gas shut off valves to the individual appliences ALWAYS have a tendency to leak just a little .Have your plumber check /tighten those , then sniff or soap or use a torch ,,,whatever .

Best of luck ,,,,,,, Signing off

cal

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
people

1. I do not care about your sex.
2. I do not care about your marital situation.
3. I do not care about your ****** orientation.
4. I do not care who owns the building.
5. Tell me what the problem is and let me decide how to fix it.
6. If I can only fix one problem at a time, then call someone else because I am incompetent.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cal said:
Listen to the one other pro on this thread . The old stlye gas shut off valves to the individual appliences ALWAYS have a tendency to leak just a little .Have your plumber check /tighten those , then sniff or soap or use a torch ,,,whatever .cal
When she's paying a plumber hundreds of dollars to fix a gas leak, it shouldn't be up to her to tell the plumber what to do.

Coach606

Reaction score
hey Cal

No one has benefitted from plumbing forums and pros willing to help more than me in this past year.

That said, there must be forums where ONLY pros get together and DIY'er's aren't allowed. If you don't want to read a post from a non pro, try scrolling down with your mouse wheel.

Some of us have other professions, true, but we may also like reading about and trying to figure out someone's plumbing problem as a hobby.

I don't see why my hobby should aggravate you. Just scroll down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks