Faux Beam for Cathedral Ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to help, this is my dilemma.
I have Florida room with an 11 ft. Cathedral Ceiling and what I believe to be an aluminum beam that has a fan attached. I have repainted the room in green. To me it looks a bit ugly. I was thinking about attaching a Faux wood beam. Does anyone know if that would work? How can I test the strength of the existing beam? And I would like some options on colors would the wood beam be best? Natural dark brown or a light green? The room is spring green and a picture is attached. Basically what are my options I believe the beam is the main support I don't want it falling down.

Attachments

• faux beam.jpg
    faux beam.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 625

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Why faux wood rather then the real thing? Wrapping it in clear 1 x douglas fir screwed to the beam at regular intervals would give it substantially more strength, and will look pretty good with just an linseed oil/polyurethane conversion varnish. Doug fir darkens over time to a deep reddish brown.

I did exactly this to cover up a pair of butt-ugly pine 2 x 12s that were part of a structurally necessary roof support in an addition at my house. Had I been there ahead of time I would have just specified clear doug-fir and finished them. The wrapped beam looks (and is) substantially bigger and more structural than the engineer-specifed truss element. Had to wrap the 2 x 8 king-pin too, but it looks great now.

Clear quarter-sawed clear yellow pine or spruce would look pretty good too. It would add less strength than doug-fir and might need a different finish though if you were looking for a darker color than a natural medium brown (aged pine) or lighter brown (spruce).

A different architectural style, but this is what aged doug fir looks like against avocado green:

trim.jpg

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Why faux wood rather then the real thing? Wrapping it in clear 1 x douglas fir screwed to the beam at regular intervals would give it substantially more strength, and will look pretty good with just an linseed oil/polyurethane conversion varnish. Doug fir darkens over time to a deep reddish brown.

I did exactly this to cover up a pair of butt-ugly pine 2 x 12s that were part of a structurally necessary roof support in an addition at my house. Had I been there ahead of time I would have just specified clear doug-fir and finished them. The wrapped beam looks (and is) substantially bigger and more structural than the engineer-specifed truss element. Had to wrap the 2 x 8 king-pin too, but it looks great now.

Clear quarter-sawed clear yellow pine or spruce would look pretty good too. It would add less strength than doug-fir and might need a different finish though if you were looking for a darker color than a natural medium brown (aged pine) or lighter brown (spruce).

A different architectural style, but this is what aged doug fir looks like against avocado green:

trim.jpg
Thank you, I might give that a go, I was saying strength because this room is also an addition and I don't want the beam to fall down.

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
dana: that's some fine work you did there!

for the OP: faux wood beams are horrible looking. we looked into getting one and had a $25 (ripoff) sample sent to us. horrible horrible horrible.

i'm going to be doing what dana did with doug fir and wrap the old beam. i don't need strength --- just doing it for the architectural upgrade.

dana: do you know of a good way to make a 16ft long miter joint that'll have tight edges? our current beam is made up of two vertical boards that sandwich a horizontal board, creating a butt joint with a bit of a lip. not the look i like. i see in your pic, you dressed up the edge with some moulding. did you make that, or buy it, or...?

Attachments

• IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 397

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Those pics are not from my house, they're random shots from the web I chose to show the color that doug-fir ages into, and it's aesthetic compatibility with pale green paint schemes.

The doug-fir wraps for my ugly beams were fabbed up at a fine-furniture factory using fairly precision equipment and adjusted for fit on site. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do as tight a job with the tooling a finish carpenter might bring to a job site, but there's a lot of real talent out ther.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks