Faulty sprinkler valve

Users who are viewing this thread

defreib

Reaction score
Can someone tell how to locate a sprinkler valve that is buried some where in my front yard?

Thanks in advance

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Usually all the zone valves are together, often right outside the house. Sometimes they are covered with a green plastic cover, which grass or mulch can hide. You may want to trace where the control wires go from the timer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Witching for pipes

You may be able to locate by witching for it.

I take a coat hanger and cut two el's from it.

I re-bend if needed to create a right-angle bend.

Hold each one in a hand loosely and walk around the yard.
When the wires go over a pipe, they will point toward each other.
At that point, the wires are inline over a pipe. :)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Valve

I am not a believer in "witching" so it never works for me. I borrow an electric wire toner/tracer and follow the wire to its end which is where the valve will be.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
twstore_1814_903942

Cable locator. Connect the tone generator to one end and find the other end by moving the tone detector near the other end. The easiest way to match cable ends at hundreds of feet away or to find a single cable in a bundle.

Last edited:

basie1234

Reaction score
Sprinkler Valves

I have had two of six zones out for over a year and couldn't find the valves. I had a contractor out for some maintenence and he couldn't find the valves either. Today I rented a tone generator for $15.00 for half a day, found the two zones. One in 15 minutes, the second an hour and a half (and about six dry holes) later. Thanks - the tone generator solution worked great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks