Faucet was loose and moved a bit...Are my compression fittings OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

rmc

Reaction score
Have a lav faucet in my bathroom that was not installed tightly and moved about 1/4" or less. I reached up and tightened the plastic nuts and now the faucet is securely attached to my sink.

My question is: since I have chrome plated copper tubing connecting this faucet to the shut off valves, was this movement enough to jeopardize the 3/8" compression joint at the valve? There are no drips, leaks, etc... and have not been since this occurred. Is this something I should worry about, as I have little knowledge of compression fittings. Thanks so much for any advice!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think 1/4"movement of the faucet could compromise the connections, unless they were extremely sketchy to begin with.
No sense worrying about Leaks that Might Have Been, but Weren't.

Reaction score
Shouldn't impact those connections unless you are already seeing drips of course. However, the loose nuts suggest there might be/have been a poor seal around the faucet body to the sink. So if water puddles around the faucet you might expect water to drip through below. It's easy to check though, just pour some water around the perimeter of the faucet and check below to see if there are any drips (check again after a few minutes in case it is a very small gap.)

When I install faucets I do the above test. I also use a very thin-rolled bead of plumber's putty on the plastic gasket gaps when tightening the plastic nuts down. I'm not a pro though, I've only done this a dozen or more times in six homes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks