Faucet Turned On By Itself

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by toddsegal, Oct 13, 2007.

1. toddsegal

toddsegal New Member

First let me start by saying I'm a licensed general contractor and I also do not believe in ghosts or spirit forces. That said I was sitting in the room that is open to the kitchen and the kitchen faucet turned on by itself. It is a Kohler with a pull out sprayer. Also my daughter was being given a bath with her mother in the other part of the house. So what gives? Can pressure fluctuations cause this to happen? Can anything else cause this or do I need to reconsider the merits of a ouija board?
  2. tjbaudio

tjbaudio Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District

ok I do believe in the paranormal BUT I use to live in an apartment that had a faucet that was so easy to turn on my cat would hit it to get fresh water. I could see a faucet failing in a way that a pressure diff could cause it to turn on. can you get it to turn on easy?
  3. Cookie

Cookie .

For under 10 dollars you can go to one of the Big Box stores and buy a pressure gauge to check your water pressure to see if it is excessively high as that could be one possible reason it is turning on.

If the water pressure after being tested is in excess of 75-80 pounds, it is recommended that you install a pressure reducing valve and an expansion tank.
    The tank can be installed anywhere on the cold water line but, it is usually installed on the cold line somewhere above the water heater.

Best regards, Cookie
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  4. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Now look at who is the plumbing pro...
    Impressive Cookie...
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

One is only as good as their teacher; and, I have a great teacher.:)