faucet / toilet supply risers and stop valve preferences?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Stu27, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Stu27

Stu27 New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a few final details remaining to finish up my master bathroom remodel. Faucet / toilet risers and stop valves come in several varieties and I'm wondering if there is a clear preference in the trade for one type over another. I have the following options available to me at the store:

risers: chrome plated copper tube, pex tube, or braided hose (both steel braid and polymer braid). Is one riser type preferred over another? I was leaning toward the copper thinking it's stronger and that once it's installed you'd rarely need to mess with it.

stop valves: sweat, compression, or push-connect (aka shark-bite). Is one stop-valve type preferred over another? I was leaning toward the compression stop valve because I'm concerned about the possibility of loosening the joint just behind the sheetrock in the soldering process and I don't know much about the push-connect valve's reliability (compression and sweat valves have been around and working reliably much longer).
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Many faucets come with their supply lines already attached, so you may not need to address that. I'd use 1/4-turn, compression stops.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Ask a dozen plumbers and you will get two dozen different preferences. Good theory about the solid copper, but that takes a little more skill, often need an expensive tube bender, etc. And it can be knocked out of wack by an errant vacuum cleaner, etc! I lean towards the polymer braided myself, but that is just me. Everyone has their fav.

I suggest compression valves. Others will say threaded or sweat.