faucet replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by davebridges, Feb 8, 2009.

1. davebridges

davebridges New Member

I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet (kohler) but it appears to be attached with a round nut (not rounded, it appears to be made to be round). I tried a basin wrench but it wouldnt grab onto anything. Do i have to cut it off?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Is there a couple of jack screws on this round nut?
  3. davebridges

davebridges New Member

not that i can see... unless they were taken off... its smooth the whole way around. It dosent really look like a nut, more like a metal cylindar over a bolt
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

We would need a picture, because I have never seen a faucet attached with anything other than something a socket or basin wrench could remove.
  5. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

I saw something like that once. It was a long nut with a slot at the end for a screwdriver. It took me a long time to see that slot.
  6. davebridges

davebridges New Member

Picture

Here is a picture. I dont think there is a slot for a screwdriver, it looks just like the bolt is going straight through

Attached Files:

7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Have a look see at this picture.

[​IMG]
  8. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Time to get out the sawzall and have some fun :)
  9. davebridges

davebridges New Member

ahhh geeze i never even noticed that... ill try to pop that little guy off. thanks!
  10. davebridges

davebridges New Member

so cut it above or below that cylindar?
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That whole cylinder might be threaded. It looks like it is clamping the horseshoe shaped piece to the bottom of the sink, holding it in place. Grohe uses a similarly shaped clamp, but they use a hex shaped shaft that you can actually remove later on...good going Kohler. Every time I see one of their products, I wonder why they are still popular...they've been living off their good name for a long while, in my opinion.
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Cut it wherever you can get the saw on it and cut...
  13. davebridges

davebridges New Member

so what would you recommend for removal. do i just need to cut through the upper part of that bolt?
  14. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

nut

It appears that there is some of the hex left so you might be able to use a socket on it. Otherwise, I would bend the water lines back and forth until they break off, the use a small Channelock pliers to unscrew it.
  15. davebridges

davebridges New Member

thanks all, i ended up using a hacksaw and chopping it off above the cylindar. everything else just popped right off.
  16. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Thats great, glad to hear you got that beast off.