Faucet hole too close to flange by Granite Company

Users who are viewing this thread

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
Hello I gave all the specs to the Granite Company for the cuts here's what they left me with, haven't contacted them yet on what the next step should be, any ideas? Thank you, Rich

Attachments

• 20160513_172944.jpg
    20160513_172944.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 641
  • 20160513_173015.jpg
    20160513_173015.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 626

Reach4

Reaction score
img_1.png
View attachment 34272
what the next step should be
Are you looking to ask them re-make the piece to your original specs, or are you asking how to use what you have?

If you want to use what you have, and you are trying to figure out how to tighten the big nut nicely, you can find a tube/pipe whose ID fits over the threaded piece in the picture. Cut long enough to clear the interference except on one side. Then grind the tube to barely clear that strip. Put the nut on, and the tube will be pressing upward over about 80 to 90% of the diameter.

Last edited:

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
Thank you for the information very helpful I guess I'm just kind of stumped spending that much money and giving someone all the specs not to have it correctly done, I'm sure I'm not the first one to be disappointed with work like this. Would I be out of line to ask them to do it correctly or just have them cauble up the work to get it to fit correctly?

View attachment 34273 View attachment 34272
Are you looking to ask them re-make the piece to your original specs, or are you asking how to use what you have?

If you want to use what you have, and you are trying to figure out how to tighten the big nut nicely, you can find a tube/pipe whose ID fits over the threaded piece in the picture. Cut long enough to clear the interference except on one side. Then grind the tube to barely clear that strip. Put the nut on, and the tube will be pressing upward over about 80 to 90% of the diameter.

Reaction score
Would I be out of line to ask them to do it correctly or just have them cauble up the work to get it to fit correctly?
Looks like you paid for it and fully accepted it when you signed for it during delivery.

For example, mail order vendors make it clear to never accept deliveries of damaged boxes from Ups/FedEx.

Now it is a case of he said/she said. The cutters can say this was exactly how you wanted it, you accepted it at delivery, and now you are being crazy changing your mind with a new measurement after.

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
Did you provide those specs in writing? Was the hole drilled to spec? Who provide the sink? What kind of sink is it (what's it made of? Can the lip of the sink be drilled or cut? Was the counter top purchased locally?
Paper specs from American Standard given to the Local Company same with the faucet PDF copies and actual specs for American Standard in the box with measurements, hole is the correct size but distance from the lip of the under counter mounted sink will not allow locking nut to fit correctly. Not only did I give the Granite Company spec papers I also provided them the physical actual sink and faucet prior to the Granite being prepared. I'll have to check and see what this American Standard sink is made out of. Thank you for your response so far

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
Looks like you paid for it and fully accepted it when you signed for it during delivery.

For example, mail order vendors make it clear to never accept deliveries of damaged boxes from Ups/FedEx.

Now it is a case of he said/she said. The cutters can say this was exactly how you wanted it, you accepted it at delivery, and now you are being crazy changing your mind with a new measurement after.
I guess I could kind of see it that way but if I have a new roof put on my house I don't automatically get the water hose and spray water on it to make sure it doesn't leak or to make sure they put the black paper down I would expect professionalism to be done correctly especially once manufacturing instructions are given American Standard. I'll find out Monday exactly what their position is on it. Thanks for your response

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
I think they owe you a new counter top or at least a correction. What they will probably want to do is cut an concave recess into the sink lip. I am assuming that the black thing you are holding up is some kind of tool less mounting device. It is hard to judge distances from a photo but a concave recess ground into the edge of the sink mounting lip about 1/2" deep with a 3 inch grinder should give enough clearance for the nut and not seriously weaken the sink lip. Grind only deep enough for the nut. Cut a flat side in the washer and round off corners. Substitute a regular hex nut for the black thing.
If they had all the parts it is definitely their responsibility to make every thing fit together.

Last edited:

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
I think they owe you a new counter top or at least a correction. What they will probably want to do is cut an concave recess into the sink lip. I am assuming that the black thing you are holding up is some kind of tool less mounting device. It is hard to judge distances from a photo but a concave recess ground into the sink mounting lip about 1/2" deep with a 3 inch grinder should give enough clearance for the nut and not seriously weaken the sink lip. Grind only deep enough for the nut. Cut a flat side in the washer and round off corners. Substitute a regular hex nut for the black thing.
If they had all the parts it is definitely their responsibility to make every thing fit together.

Thank you for the information I'm not looking to be difficult with them Monday just understand what the possibilities are getting it corrected without weakening the sink. You are correct The Black peace actually stays attached for easily removal in future so I'm sure it could be substituted standard hex nut. Once again thank you for the information.

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
View attachment 34273 View attachment 34272

I will take this information under advisement and respond Monday once I visit with the granite Company installer. Once again thank you for the information

Reaction score
if I have a new roof put on my house I don't automatically get the water hose and spray water on it to make sure it doesn't leak or to make sure they put the black paper down
No. Most, if not all roof shingle manufacturers have exact installation methods and procedures that must be followed. Any roof installer that fails to omit material, is at clear fault and liable for legal litigation. When you hire a roof installer to do work, you don't need to remind them to include the black paper.

When you buy a sheet of plywood from a big box store and if the saw guy that cuts it for you screws up, you're supposed to check that with your own measure tape before you wheel it to the checkout girl, pay for it and take it home.

You did ask if you'd be "out of line to ask them to do it correctly or just have them cauble up the work to get it to fit correctly", and the answer to that question is that the cutters have no obligation to correct your failure from verifying the work. So you might want to keep your cool when you ask them, or even offer to pay extra for them to correct it. That's going to be your least path of resistance without risk of being shunned and ignored with a counter you can't use at all.

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
No. Most, if not all roof shingle manufacturers have exact installation methods and procedures that must be followed. Any roof installer that fails to omit material, is at clear fault and liable for legal litigation. When you hire a roof installer to do work, you don't need to remind them to include the black paper.

When you buy a sheet of plywood from a big box store and if the saw guy that cuts it for you screws up, you're supposed to check that with your own measure tape before you wheel it to the checkout girl, pay for it and take it home.

You did ask if you'd be "out of line to ask them to do it correctly or just have them cauble up the work to get it to fit correctly", and the answer to that question is that the cutters have no obligation to correct your failure from verifying the work. So you might want to keep your cool when you ask them, or even offer to pay extra for them to correct it. That's going to be your least path of resistance without risk of being shunned and ignored with a counter you can't use at all.

Thank you for your response, luckily money's not the issue and having a wife as an attorney is always a positive thing, it all comes down to a company being responsible for the work they are contracted to do, update Monday once we have a response from the company.

Reaction score
having a wife as an attorney is always a positive thing
Would I be out of line to ask them to do it correctly or just have them cauble up the work to get it to fit correctly?
That was the question you asked.

Were you seeking acknowledgement and permission from strangers on the internet to decide if you had the right to ask them to fix it? Do you require our opinion to decide whether you will release your wife on them?

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
That was the question you asked.

Were you seeking

acknowledgement and permission from strangers on the internet to decide if you had the right to ask them to fix it? Do you require our opinion to decide whether you will release your wife on them?

No we find out a lot more can be done with honey than with vinegar but obviously your politeness is more than welcome that's the why we structure things around Karma as it usually has its role in life, we appreciate your comments and time along with knowledge, will update as soon as possible as others have offered great information on great ways to resolve issues. As always thanks again for your wonderful information.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
This is not going to be a big deal to the company, probably a 5 minute task. What you could do ahead of time is take the faucet to the store and find a nut of the correct size and thread, stainless steal if possible. Call around, not likely to find it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a lot of noise about nothing, just do as Reach4 suggested. Reasonable and cheap solution to an awful mistake.

Get even with the company by complaining on yelp.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
He really went out of his way to make it clear to all of us that he has the upper hand "having a wife as an attorney".

I don't read it that way. He came here to find out what options exist and get other people opinion about whether or not he was being unreasonable in his demands of the granite company. Yes, the black thing can be used if it doesn't require grinding away enough of the sink lip to compromise the integrity of the sink.

RICHARD ROJAS

Reaction score
Why substitute? If they are to cut a piece of the sink flange, couldn't that black thing be used as well or better than a nut?

if they did cut the porcelain sink the black locking Nut tube could be used. I'll see what they say Monday. Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks