Faucet fittings too short - thick countertop

Users who are viewing this thread

Geneman

Reaction score
Can someone help me? We recently had a new Silestone countertop installed & love it. It has a nice undermount sink too. Trouble is, the Silestone is 3 cm thick (a standard granite thickness). The part of the undermount sink that the faucet holes go through is 1 cm. The combined thickess means that less than 1/2" of the faucet supply inlet fittings extends below. This means I can get either the mounting nut or the female supply fitting to connect, but not both. Is there a way to extend the inlet fitting or secure the faucet some other way?

Complicated question, eh? :confused:

faucet-nut-short-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some faucets have a "thick deck" option.

Find the brand, and locate their web site. They may be able to send an extension kit out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, the best option would have been to let your faucet supplier know in advance that you needed extra-long shanks. If the faucet is a single handle type, you can probably adapt some hardware to the hold-down stud. If it is the type of faucet which has 1/2" male nipples extending through to attach a hold-down nut and then the supply line, I haven't seen an extender, but someone probably has it. Check with a good plumbing supplier.

Not to ping on you, but just a general comment for remodelers:

The sink, faucet, countertop material are a package deal. If you select a granite top, and then waltz into the store the day the granite arrives, looking for that special undermount sink, or the faucet with the long shanks, it doesn't work that way. PLAN EVERYTHING, IN ADVANCE.

Last edited:

Sulconst2

Reaction score
no "ping" taken.
when ordering a granite top you have to supply the sink before they fabricate. especially an undermount. its installed by the granite fabricators with epoxy. usually the faucet holes go thru granite only. not thru the sink flange also. if this sink has faucet holes i don't believe its an undermount!

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
just a thought

cut a brass. coupling in 1/2 ,thread 2 close nipples in both cut pieces attach to faucet

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Galvanized pipe and fittings have no place in potable water supplies due to their problems, buildup with deterioration and leaking down the road. Brass fittings and pipe nipples are the way to go instead. Home Depot in their kitchen design departments have extensions for nearly all brand name faucets except for Pegasus. All plumbing supply houses deal with this issue and can get you the right parts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
coupling

I guess you have never tried to screw a nipple into the back side of a tapered thread. If you had you would realize that it is basically impossible to do so. But if a half coupling would tighten to the counter top, using multiple washers if necessary, then a full brass coupling would do it also, and a close nipple would screw into the bottom thread normally.

faucet-nut-short-02.jpg

faucet-nut-short-03.jpg

Sulconst2

Reaction score
geneman,
would like to know what kind of undermount sink you have that has faucet holes. i'm not familiar with any. looked on kohler's site and none of the undermounts have a faucet flange.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Two that come to mind are the Americast and Pegasus. Both from HD. They are designed to accomodate drop in or undermount.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
What Brand Of Faucet Did You Buy???

I am just wondering, what are you working with here anyway???

What brand of faucet did you buy that is giving you fits???

So before you listen to everyone here and then go out and try to
basically jerry rig up something to work--

which you will probably regret doing in a year or two....

why dont you just find a good faucet that will fit the job
and save yourself tons and tons of greif here???

I have never , ever had this kind of problem with a DELTA

so could you please tell me exactly
what brand you got that wont work

Price Fister, American Standard, or Kohler????
or some other specialty brand ??

if it is still in the box, or even if it isnt,

just tell your wife that she aint getting what she wants...
too bad --so sad---

just try to take it back to where you bought it
and get a DELTA or something else that
makes her happy that works..

Now, dont tell me its a delta you got already

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

ou can start with the K-5931-4U which has oversized holes for undercounter mounting, and we could go from there, but since you only asked for one, this should be adequate.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
thanks for the enlightenment.

of all the kitchen and lav undermount sinks ive used all had the small flange. the plus i see with these are different options where you can install your faucets.

another day of living and learning!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks