Faucet Connection Size

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by sobersgea, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sobersgea

sobersgea New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    A review on the kitchen faucet I am interested in stated that "The water lines on this faucet are smaller than my existing faucet, so my water pressure has diminished considerably." The specifications on the faucet list a "Connection size" of 3/8" Compression. If I hadn't read the review I would have purchased the faucet, however, my water presser isn't that hot and I am concerned that the "connection size" could be an issue. Other faucets have a 1/2" connection size. So, can I blindly purchase a faucet based on looks, or do I need to take connection size into consideration?

2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Jun 21, 2007
    I smash things and demand money.
    Victoria, BC
    It makes no difference. The outlet on your shutoff valve is 3/8, and the supply tubing you would be using is 3/8. A number of kitchen faucets are now coming with the option of having the 3/8 flex lines already installed directly into the faucet body.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    The Feds have put limitations on the flow rate of many valves used in a home. You can easily reach that max flow with a 3/8" line. There may be some older ones still on a shelf somewhere, but even then, a 3/8" supply line is/was fairly typical.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    The restriction is at the aerator, not the supply lines.
    We've been using 3/8" for over fifty years.

Shower heads, kitchen faucets and bathroom faucets all have restricters in place, but not at the supply line.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Even when the faucet had 1/2" IPS inlet connections, the internal tubing was much smaller. And for years, ALL the flex lines we have used were the same ( approx 3/8) tubing, just with 1/2 or 7/16 or 3/8 ends on it.
  7. sobersgea

sobersgea New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Thanks for all the input. Faucet is ordered. Thanks again!
  8. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Aug 27, 2008
    A bounty hunter like in "Raising Arizona"
    Using this
    and fitting an equation to the values given for type K copper at 2 GPM, for a 3/8" tube the pressure loss will be twice as much as for 1/2", 8 PSI rather than 4 PSI, but this is per hundred feet of pipe.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010