Faucet cartridge that I replaced won't turn anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Al Wet

Reaction score
I totally new to plumbing matters but replaced a bathroom sink cartridge several years ago. I got advice on this forum and it certainly helped. This is the post:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-cartridge-came-shooting-out-of-faucet.50515/

From the get go there was something weird about it.When I'd run the hot water it would get hard to turn. It didn't leak but stayed hard to turn after running. Yesterday it just froze up. Somehow I got it turned off but it won't turn at all now. I was so new to doing that kind of thing, after a couple of years I've forgotten how I even did it. Could someone give me an idea of the next steps. It was a 6s-1H/C for Stanadyne that I bought back then. Thanks

moen-1224-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
First Google " 6s-1H/C for Stanadyne" and read all the comments about Danco's 6s-1H/C which is a replacement for a Moen 1224 cartridge.

You should get.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-6S-1H-C-Hot-Cold-Stem-for-Moen-Faucets-18326B/100563017.

Then go to .

and watch the videos about replacing this cartridge.

Then call 1-800-BUY MOEN (1-800 289-6636) and ask them to send you the 1224 cartridges. Moen warrants their cartridges for life.

When installing a faucet cartridge, always install it with the stem in the open position. When you are trying to put the cartridge in you always have air and sometimes water trapped in the body of the faucet. Having the stem open lets the air escape as you push the cartridge in.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why install a Danco part that costs money, if Moen offers you free original parts?

Danco doesn't fit 100% like original parts

Al Wet

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I can use it. This faucet is really old. I don't think I ever saw a brand name on it. I still wonder why that hot water handle was so hard to turn from the get go? It happened after running the hot water for a while. I wondered if I had put it in backwards or something. Maybe your comment on having air trapped on install?
I just ordered this. Hope it's a good choice?

http://www.moen.com/customer-support/installation-help/tutorial?id=moen0132

By the way. On that instructional video Widget Maker showed it says I should look at the position of the old cartridge. I suspect I didn't have it in the right position? So would someone tell me how to position it? Thanks

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
He does say that but it is not necessary. The cartridge has a little tooth on one side that goes in a notch. You push it down in the valve and turn the stem until it drops down in the notch. You cannot mess it up. He discusses the notch at about 2:17 in the video

Al Wet

Reaction score
He does say that but it is not necessary. The cartridge has a little tooth on one side that goes in a notch. You push it down in the valve and turn the stem until it drops down in the notch. You cannot mess it up. He discusses the notch at about 2:17 in the video
Got the part in the mail and it works. It was much smoother than the last time I tried this due to 1) the instructions here and the video and 2) that it wasn't a cartridge that had been in there for 20-30 years. I suspect the Moen replacement is better than the one I got from Lowes or Home Depot (mentioned above) because the middle part is metal vs plastic. That one from Home Depot had many bad reviews but I think that people aren't encouraged to leave reviews so you wouldn't see the positives so much. Anyway thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks