Faucet before pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of replumbing my well and I would like to add a hydrant outside but it would be before the pressure tank - would that work?

I don't plan on using a check valve b/c the pump already has one (I've read so many different views on this......) but if I added a 2nd check valve then this wouldn't work???

Reach4

Reaction score
No problem as long as there is no blocking device, such as a check valve, CSV, or Dole valve, between the hydrant and the pressure gauge.

It would be OK to have an additional check valve near the pump. But you don't usually want one above ground for a submersible pump.

Your assessment is correct.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not OK to add an additional check valve anywhere else. It will just cause additional water hammer. Leave out the extra check valve and you can tee a faucet into the line anywhere you want. I would be more concerned about how many times the pump will cycle on and of while using that faucet. If it is just used to fill a dog bowl, you are ok. If you plan on running a sprinkler or hose for long periods of time, you will cycle the pump to death. You can add a Cycle Stop Valve to stop the pump from cycling no matter where or how many hoses are used, but the CSV has to be installed before any faucets tee off.

Reaction score
It is not OK to add an additional check valve anywhere else. It will just cause additional water hammer. Leave out the extra check valve and you can tee a faucet into the line anywhere you want. I would be more concerned about how many times the pump will cycle on and of while using that faucet. If it is just used to fill a dog bowl, you are ok. If you plan on running a sprinkler or hose for long periods of time, you will cycle the pump to death. You can add a Cycle Stop Valve to stop the pump from cycling no matter where or how many hoses are used, but the CSV has to be installed before any faucets tee off.

If I were to wash my truck with a hose hooked to the hydrant wouldn't the pump run almost continuous? the pressure switch would be controlling the pump either way?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Not unless your hose puts out as much water as the pump can produce, which I doubt. Otherwise the pressure switch just turns the pump on and off continually while you are using the hose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks