Farm sink drain with overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

JimBeam

Reaction score
I need to change a drain on a china farm sink that has a molded in overflow. The sink is 36wx18dx10h and about 10 years old. There are no labels inside it or on the front and I can't remove the sink, without destroying the cabinet to look for a mfgr's label.
This sink is very unusual in that the drain hole is on the right end and its diameter is 2-5/8". The thickness of the bottom of the sink is 2-1/4", this extra thickness allows for the intragal overflow. Actually the drain situation is very similar to a china lavatory bowl except that everything is much bigger.
I took the existing drain out because it has been dripping slightly for a long time, and when I took it out (destroying the pot-metal nut in the process) I found that the drain did not have overflow holes in the upper sides of it (i.e. a lavatory drain) and that the gasket under the bottom of the sink was actually a foam seal of the type that goes between a toilet tank and stool. Consequently any water that went into the overflow was trapped in the space around the upper drain until it could evaporate or seep out around the old seal.
The existing drain has a 3-3/8" flange, is 1-7/8" o.d., 1-5/8 i.d., has a 3-1/2" overall length, and a standard !-1/2" pvc P-trap fits on it. It probably would have worked fine if it had had overflow holes and a proper rubber gasket and washer.
I have spent hours searching for a new drain on the internet, and visiting about ten plumbing supplies in southeastern CT with a drawing of the sink and the old drain in hand. No one has ever seen anything like it.
I am hoping that someone who reads this can help me find a new stainless steel, brush nickel, or chrome sink drain.

Sincerely,
JimBeam

Nukedaddy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like.....

There were several sinks of this sort imported from SE Asia and/or China over the last 20 years. I have seen similar ones at discount /surplus type supply houses in NY, PA and others. Check Renovater's Supply online for lookalikes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks