Fan rated ceiling boxes

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Homeownerinburb, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

And again with the rigid conduit. Of course the two ceiling lights are the hubs of the conduit, with four lengths of conduit each running into them. The customer wants ceiling fans.

I have never seen any deep boxes that have a conventional five knock-out pattern on the back, that are rated for ceiling fans.

But that certainly does not mean that they do not exist. I would dearly love not to have to cut the conduit up.

How in the world a house was wired in rigid, I don't care to think. Back when ships were wood and men were iron.
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Just remember the fan can be hung independent to the box or in other words hang it from a strut or something other than the box.
  3. Homeownerinburb

I'd kill to see an illustration.

And a code citation would go a long way.
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

422.18 Support of Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans. See related UL

Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be supported independently of an outlet box or by listed outlet box or outlet box systems identified for the use and installed in accordance with 314.27(C).
  5. Homeownerinburb

Cool. A citation is a start.

Now. How is it done?
  6. Homeownerinburb

Whoa. Two 2x4s sandwiching the octagonal box, tightly, secured to the ceiling joists, with the fan yolk lag bolted into the 2x4s?