Fake San Diego Area Contractors Caught by CSLB during Undercover Sting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Terry, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[h=3]Fake San Diego Area Contractors Caught by CSLB during Undercover Sting[/h]
    SACRAMENTO — Six suspects illegally operating as contractors were cited during an undercover sting in Spring Valley, 15 miles east of San Diego on November 20, 2013. Investigators from the Contractors State License Board’s (CSLB) Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT) posed as property owners of the residential home during the one-day operation. All six received Notices to Appear (NTA) in Superior Court to answer a variety of misdemeanor charges.

More of the story
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Legal contractors are licensed by the State, carry liability insurance and are bonded.
    Any advertising requires listing of the contractor number. The State website has a contractor lookup. It's pretty easy to see if there are any complaints, whether they are insured or not.
    Tradesmen like plumbers and electricians are licensed, pull permits and get inspections.
    A licensed contractor is certainly more likely to have more practical experience and apt to know the correct procedures. They're not guessing.
    There's no recourse using non-licensed workers. They insurance companies don't back their work.
  3. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

Here in Ct we also have to display our license number(s) on our service vehicles. In addition, if an unlicensed guy is doing a job and the homeowner finds he isn't licensed, the homeowner does not have to pay for the work.

I have turned in one particular guy a few times but he is still advertising and doing work....

Terry, I doubt unlicensed guys have insurance, I had to show mine to my agent prior to getting my liability coverage
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

That is funny that misdemeanor charges would be handled in Superior Court.

What a waste of tax payers money.
  5. dj2

dj2 Member

It's sad that we spend time and energy to catch a guy who installs a faucet without a license, yet do not pursue those in wall street who raped the country, or those who "can't find" 8 trillion Dollars missing from the pentagon.
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

They just blame in on a accountant.

And fire them for doing their job.

But they do get unemployment benefits.