Failed Soldered Joint - Best Repair Method???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by philtrap, Aug 2, 2013.

1. philtrap

philtrap New Member

Folks,

One of the soldered tee connections I just made on a new copper heating pipe installation failed and is dripping about 1 drop per minute. I'm going to fix it, but I was wondering if it was ok to just leave and it will fix itself???? (I've don this before with small thread leaks).

Thanks
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Minerals may eventually plug the leak, but it may not last. Best to fix it. Keep in mind that with heating pipes, as things expand and contract, that leak might end up sucking in some air...probably not, but air inside of a heat pipe is not your friend.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would cut it out and replace it.
    I've never been lucky enough in forty years to find a self sealing solder joint.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Only one way is right. Disassemble and redo for scratch.
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Nothing fixes itself.
  6. philtrap

philtrap New Member

Thanks all. I took it apart and resoldered. It's all better and it took me less than 15 minutes.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That's the best and most reliable solution.