Failed house water shut off valve.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lpusanet, Oct 13, 2009.

1. lpusanet

lpusanet New Member

I have a leak on a toilet shut off valve and turned off the house water shut off valve before work. When I got home I could turn the valve, but the water did not turn back on. What do I need to do, and how much should it cost to repair?
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Replace the valve with a ball valve. Prices vary depending on location. Call a local plumber in your area he should be able to give you a price over the phone.

John
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

What happened is that you have a gate valve, and have experienced a fairly common problem in that the gate snapped when you turned it off. Now the gate won't come up when you turn the stem.

An emergency fix to this : try two things:

(a)Turn the handle several turns counter clockwise to be sure the stem is up. Now, rap the valve body firmly, several times, with a hammer. Give it a good smack, but not like you are trying to put one over the wall at Fenway.

(b) If that doesn't work, get the city to come out and turn off their stop. Unscrew the bonnet assembly of your valve. Then try to grab the gate with a pair of needle nose. Now put the bonnet back on, and you will have water. It is not prudent to NOT have a main shutoff, so you want to replace that valve as soon as possible.