"extra" holes in sink?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ldmrs, Aug 18, 2005.

1. ldmrs

ldmrs New Member

I have a fairly new Kohler pedestal sink and it has two holes on the bottom under the bowl where water is leaking. Why are they there and why is water coming out of them? Thanks for your help.
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

holes

what two holes?
  3. ldmrs

ldmrs New Member

There are two holes, one on each underside of the sink basin, near the back. Water is coming out of the one on the right side.
  4. thezster

thezster New Member

Looked at my pedestal sink... it's got what appears to be some sort of "knockouts" on either side of the faucet water supply holes.... looks like they would leak from the overflow if the water got that high - and if they were knocked out.... Don't know what they're for..... but wonder if yours got knocked out by mistake....
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leaks

The holes could be for any number of purposes, probably none that you would use them for. If they leak the sink is defective.
  6. esdguru08

esdguru08 New Member

leaking at bottom of pedestal sink

I had this same problem. The extra holes are air-vents for the overflow cavity, and/or manufacturing venting. In this cavity there is a pedestal with a hole at the top, which will allow water to overflow into the base of the sink, where these extra holes exist. What it means is that your sink is not draining quickly enough, and if the water level build-up, to be above the secondary overflow, it will drain out of the bottom holes, onto the floor. Only solution is to clean-out your p-trap, and your plunger. This problem is commonly caused by hair in the plunger, or a semi-plugged p-trap.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  7. SHR

SHR Member

I call BS. hj is correct - sink is defective if water flows out on to floor. I have installed hundreds of Kohler and hundreds more of other brands of pedestal sinks and know nonsense when I read it. Whoever told esdguru08 this BS was either lying or does not have the slightest idea what they are talking about.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Whoever told esdguru08 this BS was either lying or does not have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Oh, they knew what they were talking about, it just sounds like they successfully "dazzled him with their brilliance" so they did not have to resort to "baffling him with their B.S.". As long as he did not make them replace the sink, they were successful, and everyone else made a profit on the sale of the sink, instead of having to scrap it.