Extra height toilet seat

Users who are viewing this thread

KlattuNictoBarada

Reaction score
Hello Folks

I was just wondering if Mr. Love or any forum members have seen a toilet seat that adds extra height - while remaining in appearance to be a normal toilet seat.

I understand the large plastic "fits over the bowl" height extenders; but that isn't what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that given a quick glance just looks like a regular seat, but upon closer inspection it's actually at least double the height of a normal seat. 3" tall would be nice.

If they don't exist; perhaps I will start a small business making them as there appears to be a market for something like that.

Anyway, great to be a part of the forums here, and a great site!

Best Regards

Scott

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't mention if you have an ADA height toilet or a standard height. The ADA measures 16-1/2" from the floor to top of bowl. The standard height measures 14-5/8" from the floor to top of bowl. That's almost 2" difference. Some wooden seats make be a tad thicker than plastic one, but I know of none that are significantly thicker. As a side note, last summer I had an opportunity to visit FDR's summer white house in Warm Springs, GA. The "house is really just a rustic cabin, but the bathroom really caught my eye. As you probably know, FDR was crippled by polio, so he had special needs. The toilet in the house was a standard toilet (York I think), but it is mounted on a platform made of several marble slabs. This raised the height to enable the President to swing from his wheel chair on to the toilet and back to the chair without bending his braced knees. ADA height 50 years before ADA.

KlattuNictoBarada

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. It's 16 1/2 " from the top of the bowl. It's actually not for a handicapped person, it's for someone who's almost seven feet tall. Even with the seat attached the guy is still "squatting" majorly. I thought it would be cool to add an inch or two but it would have to still appear somewhat like a normal seat. With all the basketball players and tall people in the world you would think this would have come up before but it doesn't look like it. As a retired construction worker, perhaps I should start making extra deep seats to sell by mail order? Who knows...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That does clarify the situation somewhat. I'm only 5'8" tall, but I feel the same way when I have to use a standard height toilet. It's like taking a dump in the woods!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seat

The problem with your "thick seat" is that it would never stay lifted up. Because of the distance between the seat hinge holes and the tank, the seat would ALWAYS have to remain down. If it cost you $50,000.00 to set up a production run and you only sold 10 seats, how much would you have to charge for each one? You would lose money if you went the 'as seen on TV route' and sold them for $19.95, (an extra one free if you call within the next 20 minutes, just pay a second shipping and handling. The S&H is where you would make your money.). I don't know how much of a demand there would be for one, because I have NEVER had any one ask for one in the past 60+ years.

SamC

Reaction score
Here's one I found that uses your existing toilet seat. makinglifeeasier_2264_166609169.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks