Extra blocking on engineered joists, no drill zone?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by xr4ti, Dec 14, 2009.

1. xr4ti

xr4ti New Member

I've opened the floor in my master bath where this Rehau pex needs to be split up to accomodate an incoming double vanity.

This portion of the bath is on a 2' overhang. (Where the insulation is seen. On the portion that overhangs, there seems to be 3/4" blocking stapled to the engineered floor joists, on one side. It continues back under the floor for about another two feet.

I'm wondering if that's there for extra strength on the overhang? Anyway, the original plumber did not drill though it, (although there probably wasn't reason to do so..) so I'm wondering if I should avoid it too?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

joists

They are there to provide extra strength for the cantilevered overhang, often it had to go back half the distance of the overhang. There is no reason NOT to drill through them as long as you do it judiciously, especially if you are just drilling small holes for the water piping.
  3. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

I'd say you are ok to drill for the supply lines.

The first thing that concerned me wasn't the drilling so much as the overhang and water piping. I'm assuming this is an overhang to the outside. I see insulation but since you are in there it wouldn't hurt to make sure you are good and frost/freeze protected. It's easier to add more(better) insulation now then deal with frozen lines later down the road.
  4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

If I was doing the job, I would move the lines up through the floor closer to the front of the cabinet and do my added piping above the floor and under the toe kick of the cabinet. This would make them less likely to freeze.

John
  5. xr4ti

xr4ti New Member

That was my original plan. Then my wife picked this cabinet. :eek:

Attached Files:

6. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

They will do it every time.

John
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cabinet

You must have given her too many choices. I used to tell husbands that if you give the wife the choice between two things, he won't have a problem. If she has to pick among three or more, then he has a problem.