Exterior Hose Bib question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by fatdaddy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

I would like to replace an exterior hose bib with a ball valve,quarter turn replacement. The replacement has male threads that would be attached to my 1/2" copper line.
    A couple of questions:
    How do I sweat the male threaded bib to the copper? Should I attach a female threaded cooper adapter to my line and just screw it on or should I sweat the threaded male brass to a female copper and then sweat it to my 1/2" copper line?

Also,I have to install the hose bib sideways because the deck would not allow room enough to attach a hose in the normal way. Is this common practice?

Thanks in advance.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sweat on a female threaded elbow and then screw the hose faucet into it.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If this is exposed to the outside, in Connecticut it should be a frost free valve and it will not drain if turned sideways. If it is not frost free, it should have a shut off inside so the bib can drain in the winter. It can be turned as desired, but the pipe needs to have a slight downward slope.
  4. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

Thanks for the quick responses.

I do have a shut off inside and the 1/2" line does have a slight drop to it.
    I can't say that about the other faucets,but this one does and right now it is my main concern as I have a project going on.Thanks again!