Extension Kit for Trim?

Users who are viewing this thread

frackas

Reaction score
About to undergo a major bathroom remodel and wonder if I should have the 1.5" extension kits for my shower trims around just in case. It wouldn't break the bank but saving money is saving money. On the other hand, nothing worse than having to go back and order parts, plus downtime etc,

With a contractor on hand doing the work, should I just save the money? Would feel silly buying the extension kits for nothing.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A "major" bathroom remodel would usually imply a NEW shower valve, which would be installed with the proper set-back.

But, if you are keeping the old one, and expect increased finish wall thickness, then an extension kit will be needed. Moen makes one; PP has some for some valves; many Delta's cannot be extended.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
extensions

What brand is the faucet? Some can be extended, some have a lot of adjustment so they do not need extensions, and some cannot be extended under any circumstances. What make and model is the existing valve, and why can't it be set at the proper point, or install a new valve?

frackas

Reaction score
It's major as in new valves major.

A "major" bathroom remodel would usually imply a NEW shower valve, which would be installed with the proper set-back

Sounds like extensions are more for existing fixtures, and my contractor should be able to make the new install fit without them.

We are adding wall thickness though, not terribly much but a little.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks