Extension cord for treadmill, ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
If you go by the 80% rule you need a 20A dedicated circuit for best results for this appliance.

I plug it into the washing machine outlet. It has its own 20a circuit breaker.
Obivously, I use it when the washing machine is NOT in use....and I also unplug the washing machine plug.

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
I plug it into the washing machine outlet. It has its own 20a circuit breaker.
Obivously, I use it when the washing machine is NOT in use....and I also unplug the washing machine plug.

I am not saying the circuit you are using is not adaquate for either of your appliances. I must remind youin my profession I am required to give you the legal side of the issue. I'm not judging your choice of how to accomplish what you want to do. I also must remind you that you are violating code issues if you choose to use the extension cord. Im not condeming you at all. Weather you chose to do it one way or the other is your choice, just in my profession I personally cannot give approval. I have done my duty its your personal decision. Again I do not condem or think any less of you. You are a fine person because you are concerned with your safety and the safety of your family. I Applaud You.

TedL

Reaction score
Codeone, I have to ask you another question. My Sony DVD recorder's instruction manual says (surprise, surprise) to use Sony blank DVDs when I record. Am I operating it in violation of the NEC, and your local laws based on it, if I use, say, TDK blanks?

Cookie

Reaction score
Bikes are good.:)

36_35_8.gif

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Codeone, I have to ask you another question. My Sony DVD recorder's instruction manual says (surprise, surprise) to use Sony blank DVDs when I record. Am I operating it in violation of the NEC, and your local laws based on it, if I use, say, TDK blanks?

You think the NEC dictates what type of blank DVD you use?
Seriously ??? :rolleyes:

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score

You are not talking about a code issue here. This has nothing to do with Building,Electrical,Plumbing,Mechanical or Gas Piping or Fire Codes.

The issue with the Extension Cord does!

Again look at my previous post. I did not condem him if he wanted to use the cord. He still has to take responsibility for his actions if something does go wrong, just as you do for yours.

And who knows with the way electronics are they could code something in there to make the TDK's not work as well. Youll probably never know!:rolleyes:

TedL

Reaction score
You've lost me. I thought you explained that the manufacturer's directions for the UL listed electrical equipment (treadmill) were required to be followed by the NEC, and therefore by local electrical codes that incorporate the NEC. But the manufacturer's operating instructions for the listed electrical equipment (DVD recorder) don't have to be followed? What's the diff?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Motors often are listed at peak draw...if the appliance required a 20A supply, to pass UL, they would have to supply it with a 20A plug. the average is likely much less than max, and max is unlikely to be constant.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
With motors it doesn’t have to be continuous. If the name plate says 13 amps it would be my guess that it has a ½ horse power motor.

When this motor starts up it will draw approximately 59 amps for a second or two.

I got these 59 amps from Table 430.251(A) for the locked rotor amps. Any electric motor will require a certain amount of current to overcome the rotor starting from a locked position (standing still) and bring it up to speed. Should this motor have some type of load such as a human body standing on it these amps will drop from 59 amps even slower than if the motor was under no load.

TedL

Reaction score
"110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

How does a consumer get access to the "instructions included in the listing"?

What constitutes "labeling"? Just the warning stickers placed on the equipment, or everything in the operating instructions (owner's manual)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks